User Avatar Image

Politics in Sam & Max?

posted by dudleyjohn on - last edited - Viewed by 393 users

Aside from the less-subtle references to various private body parts, I think the TellTale writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel for jokes. Maybe some fresh minds are needed. I was offended by the name used for the dinosaur exhibit in the museum. It shows a sophomoric view of politics that only mind-numbed liberals could possess. I'm waiting to draw my final conclusions about the likelihood that I will purchase another TellTale game - to see if there are any references to Doofus Pelosius, Rankus Reedius, or Hurlus Huseinus Obamanus. That would at least show a relatively balanced imbalanced humor. Gee, I wonder if this post will make it past the free-speech police at Tell Tale?

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dudleyjohn said: I find it revealing that people with liberal political views are extremely circumspect when a conservative is being lambasted. It it were a liberal (or even further left) figure that took a barb, they would be up in arms and organizing an embargo - or trying to find a liberal judge somewhere to ban the game.

lol wut

• Would someone who remembers the plant's name please post it? I don't want to go through the whole game again so early.

• my guess is that it's name was chuck (it's a plant, after all), but I'll check

• make max UK primitive in season 4 do it it wood be fun ad lest to me I live in the UK and ps max wood say yes tow dower next Japan den the then germane de make Jungian be my foot stool
    what did you think max wood say

• Aha! I must have missed that when I played through the first time.

Behind the dinosaur and to the left is a poisonous plant called the "Toxicodendron Palinus," and the plaque says that it was an even more powerful irritant than its modern day counterpart. It's an obvious reference to Sarah Palin. It's really not that politically charged, though; it's just calling her annoying. (I don't care if you're a Republican and actually agree with her political views; don't tell me her very personality isn't annoying as hell.)

And then behind and to the right of the dinosaur is another plant called the "Osmunda Kincaidium." The plaque says that it's also known as "The Boring Fern," and that there is nothing significant or interesting about it. I'm not sure whom this is referring to. I tried googling "Osmund Kincaid" and came up with nothing.

And then there's the bacon plant in front of the dinosaur that I'm sure everyone saw.

• @thesporkman said:

And then behind and to the right of the dinosaur is another plant called the "Osmunda Kincaidium." The plaque says that it's also known as "The Boring Fern," and that there is nothing significant or interesting about it. I'm not sure whom this is referring to. I tried googling "Osmund Kincaid" and came up with nothing.

Reason for this: Osmunda is really a genus of fern plants.

• Seems fine? Is just a little jokey referencey thing that comedic adventure games do all the time. Kincaid is a part of Alaska isn't it?

• Umm. Yeah. I wouldn't say it obviously poking fun at Sarah Palin. I wouldn't think of her at first, or second.

only when it's pointed out to me that it could mean Sarah Palin. MY first thirty thoughts would be of poisonous plants

• Honestly the only joke I recall about the plant was the whole thing with Sammun-Mak talking about its illicit uses, prompting me to immediately attempt to explode a hydrogen zeppelin overhead.

• @thesporkman said: Behind the dinosaur and to the left is a poisonous plant called the "Toxicodendron Palinus," and the plaque says that it was an even more powerful irritant than its modern day counterpart. It's an obvious reference to Sarah Palin.

Obvious reference? It isn't that obvious, and I don't see why someone would be so mad about a plant's name. It's a plant in a game!

Add Comment