User Avatar Image

Controls in Season 3

posted by JTZ on - last edited - Viewed by 185 users

Recently, I have played the demo of Season 3 to see if I should buy it. At first I was content since the humor was great. But when it actually came to moving Sam, I thought the game was kidding me:

Moving a control stick with the mouse? That is even worse then the fishy keyboard controls of Monkey Island 4!

Seriously, why abondoning the old mouse controls? It's nice to make the game more accessable for the consoles, but not if the PC version suffers from it :/

So after Tales of MI, the second Telltale "game" I won't buy because of bad controls. It's such a shame - anyone here agreeing with me?

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I prefer to use WASD or a gamepad to play The Devil's Playhouse, click and drag is my least favorite control scheme, but still functional. I prefer WASD + mouse to everything else. :)

• I vastly prefer the WASD + mouse combo. In S1 of Sam and Max, which is entirely mouse controlled if I recall, I was constantly accidentally activating things or entering or leaving areas because I was trying to more finely move Sam.

Click to move is my bane in all but top-down perspective RPGs.

• yeah the WASD is the way to go in both Devils Playhouse and MI. They actually work well believe it or not

• @JTZ said: So after Tales of MI, the second Telltale "game" I won't buy because of bad controls. It's such a shame - anyone here agreeing with me?

Why is "game" in quotes? It's still a game whether you like the controls or not.

• I am personally in favour of the click'n'drag, even more so than the classic point'n'click. I just found it such an effort to get to one side of a scene to another in the previous sam&max games when it came to clicking every 5 seconds or so.
    Each to their own I spose. Not everybody can be satisfied.

• and I noticed one thing, Season 2 in a way had click and drag. In each of those games I did not have to keep clicking to get everywhere.

• I am getting used to click and drag now he icon is looking a bit better.

• PS3 has pretty darn near perfect control for a console for TDP if you wish (and are able) to partake of it, but I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly) point n'click made for some unnecessary hassles and limitations development-wise so I welcome the change. Feels really weird to go back to S1 and 2 now.

I dunno, I'd say play the demo some more and see if you adapt to the controls, it might take a bit more though since I'm not sure the demo has too many open areas to run about in.

• User Avatar Image
    JTZ

@thesporkman said: Why is "game" in quotes? It's still a game whether you like the controls or not.

The quotes are referring to the fact both TMI and Season 3 are packages of five games and not two individual products.

I wasn't expecting so many people had trouble with the standard mouse controls of normal adventures, or that they like WASD movement... or are you guys just glorifying the game?

Personally, I don't want to get used to a control scheme. It has to be intuitive and natural, but in the demo it seemed rather forced.

Whatever, you guys enjoy it if you want. There are better alternatives on the market for me ;)

• JTZ I can just imagine what you thought that last reply would accomplish.

"Man, I can't possibly imagine anyone would have different control preferences from my own. That can't be feasible! I know, I'll imply they're fanboys first, before smugly informing them that I'm taking my business elsewhere. That'll show 'em!"

Anyways. What I like about WASD is that it lets me focus on moving Sam about (usually keeping my pinky finger on the left shift key so he'll run) which frees up my right hand to point around and click on things. This considerably smooths the gameplay for me. Though I'll agree that older control schemes should at least be an option, unless there has been an engine change that would not make it feasible.

Add Comment