User Avatar Image

Futurama Thread

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

This year, on the 10th of June, the first episode of Futurama season 6 will go to air :)! This will be the first official Futurama episode (excluding the feature length films) since 2003; 7 years (for those who can't count)! It's fittingly called "Rebirth", and will be the first of the 13 episodes in season 6, and then a season 7 is also planned - we'll be having a total 26 new episodes! The whole original voice-acting cast is back and Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are still heading the team and writing episodes!

Now, I've known about this for quite a while now - as I'm sure most of you have as well - but actually getting an official release date and episode title just makes it seem that much more real and make me, personally, that much more excited. So how about you? Are you excited about the television return of Futurama? Or are you worried that it may be a failure and forever tarnish your opinion of Futurama? Will the episodes live up to the old ones? And how did you think the feature length films fared against the classic episodes?

Opinions and speculation please.

124 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • GAH! Dang DVR, only got the first episode and I didn't even get the whole thing!

• @Hayden said: I'm glad to hear that it's good (enough). What I initially heard about the new episodes weren't positive words.

Ouch! The background image of that website hurts my eyes and nearly made me pass out :eek:

But in general I totally disagree with most of that review. It's very easy to look back on the early seasons with rose-tinted spectacles, but in reality it has always featured a lot of cheap gags and one-liner comedy, and confusingly mixed-up plots, which seem to be the main things he's complaining about. For me and my friends and housemates, both new episodes had us constantly in stitches, which is surely what counts. And yet there were much deeper elements to the characters, humour, and storylines, which is why Futurama is so great; and he seems to have completely missed out that part!

• @doodo! said: To be honest I enjoyed most of the new 2 episodes. When is it on next in the US?

It's on every Thursday. For the next 3 months. Yay!

• @serializer said: Ouch! The background image of that website hurts my eyes and nearly made me pass out :eek:

But in general I totally disagree with most of that review. It's very easy to look back on the early seasons with rose-tinted spectacles, but in reality it has always featured a lot of cheap gags and one-liner comedy, and confusingly mixed-up plots, which seem to be the main things he's complaining about. For me and my friends and housemates, both new episodes had us constantly in stitches, which is surely what counts. And yet there were much deeper elements to the characters, humour, and storylines, which is why Futurama is so great; and he seems to have completely missed out that part!

I totally agree with your review.

• @The Highway said: oooh.... harsh...

Tell me about it. After reading this, I just had to rush off to find other reviews that conflicted the views put forward in this one.

@The Highway said: Critics are so naive. Look at STTNG one of the greatest shows ever created. It had a horrible start. Look at Enterprise, the first episodes flopped but towards the end of the series it was really good.

Yes, it is still in its [re]birthing process, the writers and the rest of the team will soon [re]find their groove.

To be honest I enjoyed most of the new 2 episodes. When is it on next in the US?[/QUOTE]

Were they better or worse than the feature-length, direct-to-DVD films?

Oh, and to answer your question, next week.

...and to answer your question from the previous page, Highway, I think that the air date must have been changed in the lead-up to 'Rebirth', because I could swear that June 10th was the initial air date. Or, I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure that I had the correct date. Oh well, either way, Futurama is here now, and that's all that matters

• They're back, baby. Let's paaartayyyy! :D

• For all those wanting to know where they can view the episodes online, vbox7 has both episodes. I won't give a direct link, though.

• Today, I finally started to watch Futurama (from the beginning). I can't believe it took me so long to get to this show. This weekend is officially a Futurama marathon for me.

:D:D:D

• @Milamputechture said: Fuck critics.

Fair call, actually.

Add Comment