User Avatar Image

Did anyone else think Sammun-Mak was a girl?

posted by olimango on - last edited - Viewed by 484 users

I don't know about you, but I thought Sammun-Mak was a girl until about halfway through the episode. Just her voice and mannerisms made him very feminine or something.

Anyone else?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I didn't but my sister did, While i was playing she just walked in the room, saw me play for a while then she's like "So Max's temporary brain is a girl?" And i'm like No!! It's actually a boy xD

@The Highway said: i really, really hate the geek

Ugh Me too, man! @_@

• I knew he was a boy, but his girly voice made him more adorable.

• @Ray-The-Sun said: I knew he was a boy, but his girly voice made him more adorable.

There was that child-like wonder and glee. For some reason I was expecting it to be baby Amelia Airheart in disguise.

• Nobody seems to have heard it was the same voice as Morgan in Tales of Monkey Island though.
    I heard it from her/his first line. ;)
    Nicki Rapp is back!

• @The Highway said: i really, really hate the geek

Why for? Although part of the Geek's appeal was less the actual character and more the supply of really random arsenal she provided Sam and Max with.

• I dislike the Geek mostly because she's standard "Oh, token girl character to appeal to teh femalz!!11!"

And there's also the fact that if she wasn't forced into the show, the network would have pushed for Max to be made a girl.

I mean really, people. :\

• Isn't that an argument for her? I mean, we don't really want to push for Max to be a girl, do we? Although that could explain why he doesn't like girls . . .

And yes, she was put in to fulfill a certain female quotient, but that certainly wasn't the first show to do that sort of thing, and that doesn't really speak for or against the character itself as much as it's a comment on the network. So I'm not sure that argument really makes sense to me.

• I guess Sammun-Mak is gay then. When he acts like child instead ruler, he is very girl like (for example when dodging Space Gorilla's bullets).

• @Nimeni said: Isn't that an argument for her? I mean, we don't really want to push for Max to be a girl, do we? Although that could explain why he doesn't like girls . . .

And yes, she was put in to fulfill a certain female quotient, but that certainly wasn't the first show to do that sort of thing, and that doesn't really speak for or against the character itself as much as it's a comment on the network. So I'm not sure that argument really makes sense to me.

And she's not the only character I dislike from a series because of it. I often have a gripe with female characters that mostly exist just to appeal to girls in general. If I remember correctly (slap me if I don't), the Geek WAS originally designed to be male, and they changed him into a female instead of Max. While I vastly prefer that switch to a girl!Max, the whole thing still feels rather gimmicky and forced to me.

It should be noted that as an actual character, I rather do like the Geek. Her nonchalance and intelligence complement Sam & Max nicely. But she still feels tacked-on.

So no, it's not fair to the Geek (or any other audience-oriented female character), but those are my personal feelings.

• @Omegabegin said: And she's not the only character I dislike from a series because of it. I often have a gripe with female characters that mostly exist just to appeal to girls in general. If I remember correctly (slap me if I don't), the Geek WAS originally designed to be male, and they changed him into a female instead of Max. While I vastly prefer that switch to a girl!Max, the whole thing still feels rather gimmicky and forced to me.

It should be noted that as an actual character, I rather do like the Geek. Her nonchalance and intelligence complement Sam & Max nicely. But she still feels tacked-on.

So no, it's not fair to the Geek (or any other audience-oriented female character), but those are my personal feelings.

Nope, you remember correctly -- the Geek was still a male in the series bible. And as someone who has a certain fondness/sympathy for characters who have inherent potential but had the ball dropped on their execution in canon, I completely agree with your assessment in the last two paragraphs.

I think the Geek had one good moment in the last episode of the series, though (the flashback to when she met Sam and Max). Something about that whole scene was note-perfect. But of course that happened in the last episode, so ...

@Omegabegin said: I guess Sammun-Mak is gay then. When he acts like child instead ruler, he is very girl like (for example when dodging Space Gorilla's bullets).

I dunno, those moves screamed "wascally wabbit!" to me more than anything.

Add Comment