User Avatar Image

Did anyone else think Sammun-Mak was a girl?

posted by olimango on - last edited - Viewed by 277 users

I don't know about you, but I thought Sammun-Mak was a girl until about halfway through the episode. Just her voice and mannerisms made him very feminine or something.

Anyone else?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, I do see what you're saying a little bit more, now. I can see how it could potentially feel forced, and it is irritating when bureaucrats get to make a call like that, but it didn't feel quite so much forced as it did generally unexplained as to why she should be there to me.

Although, as a girl, and I know this is "just typical" but I'm going to say it anyway-- I'd rather have an obligatory girl for other females to relate to than an obligatory girl to provide fan service to draw the men in. Because the latter seems to be the case far more often, frankly.

• @Nimeni said: Although, as a girl, and I know this is "just typical" but I'm going to say it anyway-- I'd rather have an obligatory girl for other females to relate to than an obligatory girl to provide fan service to draw the men in. Because the latter seems to be the case far more often, frankly.

...I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm a girl, too, so I hope nobody interpreted me as some kind of misogynist. I probably wouldn't even have these issues if I was a male :p

I feel bad that I don't like the Geek sometimes, because it's not her fault the network guys are idiots. She's a truly likable character - as light_rises said, her flasback scene was amazing and in my opinion one of the best damn scenes in the cartoon - but it was kind of fruitless for them to say "So here's your girl character", but end up not using her all that often.

So I should say that my true gripe lies not with the Geek herself, but with those bureaucrats assuming that if there's no coined female character, girls won't watch it. I personally find that patronizing...but that's just me. (Like you said, if she was just Fanservice Girl, I probably would've just ragequit!)

• I actually thought he was a girl until the game actually referred to him as a he.

• So did I.

The Pharoah is only supposed to be 10 years old though, so his voice will undoubtedly be high. He can't be gay, if anything, he's narcissistic and easily amused. Max is naturally effeminate because he's cute, and plays to our stereotypes of cuteness balanced out with a badass attitude. Sammun-Mak is similar to Max in his childlike manner, but he is sociopathic, irrational and domineeering. The thing about Max is, however trigger happy and disliking of girls he is, he always sticks by Sam. This is why the brain in the jar, which looks hideous, is a much nicer character than Sammun-Mak, who looks cute but has a bad attitude. I think this game taught me that I love Max as a character, not just the way he looks.

The thing I only just noticed, was that Skunk'Ape's voice is the same as LeChuck's.

Out of the new characters in this episode though, the tourist is without question my favourite (even if he is a reused character model).

• @onionmaster said: The thing I only just noticed, was that Skunk'Ape's voice is the same as LeChuck's.

Not true. LeChuck's voice has always been British and deep but that's where the similarity ends. LeChuck has by Earl Boen, Adam Harrington (who also voiced Moose the stoner surfer dude in TMI) and Kevin Blackton.

Skun-ka'pe is voiced by Roger L. Jackson, who has had a variety of voice-acting roles within Telltale, including Winslow in TMI, the mole grandpa in Sam & Max 302, Satan (oops thought it was Andrew Chaikin) and Abraham Lincoln. I think Skun-ka'pe sounds remarkably close to Abraham Lincoln, albeit with a different accent.

• User Avatar Image
    bubbledncr Telltale Staff

@olimango said: I don't know about you, but I thought Sammun-Mak was a girl until about halfway through the episode. Just her voice and mannerisms made him very feminine or something.

Anyone else?

Actually, I would say 80% of his gestures are the same as Max's. Tho the timing and such of those gestures were set up to go with the voice, so perhaps he has feminine timing?

• Well, of course I thought about "him" as a girl, what with the female (highly ****ing annoying) voice.

And here I was thinking it couldn't get worse than Baby Amalia.

• His voice is brilliant. Sounds so twisted and fun :D It does sound a little like a girl but I really can't imagine his voice any different

Add Comment