User Avatar Image

Is it safe to drink from my TOMI Drinking Vessel?

posted by figmentPez on - last edited - Viewed by 500 users

The description in the store for the Tales of Monkey Island Drinking Vessel says "perfect for all beverages, pirate or otherwise." but on the bottom of my mug is a sticker that says "State of California, Prop 65, This product may contain one or more substances or chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."

I'm a guy, so I'm not likely to be pregnant anytime soon, but I am curious why the mug carries the warning label.

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • So, could you say that although this risk does exist, it's no bigger than the risk from other painted ceramic stuff, many of which don't have that sticker?

• @bonnie said: Quite a few, yes. Especially, dishware made from similar painted ceramic-ish products that people will consume food/drink on or out of.

Ironic..... I can understand the MI mug having a warning because it can be seen as a prop/ornament - but to have warnings on actual made-for-food/drink items is a bit odd considering it should be constructed especially for that purpose in the first place :confused:

• @Indrid Cold said: So, could you say that although this risk does exist, it's no bigger than the risk from other painted ceramic stuff, many of which don't have that sticker?

The other items maybe are not "new" enough to have the sticker (I don't know how long these stickers are on items in Calfornia).

• @der_ketzer said: The other items maybe are not "new" enough to have the sticker (I don't know how long these stickers are on items in Calfornia).

I'm not talking about California or Telltale or any place or seller particularly. It is a fact (I think) that most ceramic drinking vessels worldwide don't come with such stickers. What I'm asking is whether this one has the sticker because for some reason the risk is greater than it is with other vessels or simply because they're more concerned about covering their backs than other places, and the "risk" is the same for all.

• @Indrid Cold said: I'm not talking about California or Telltale or any place or seller particularly. It is a fact (I think) that most ceramic drinking vessels worldwide don't come with such stickers. What I'm asking is whether this one has the sticker because for some reason the risk is greater than it is with other vessels or simply because they're more concerned about covering their backs than other places, and the "risk" is the same for all.

I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

If somebody from Telltale can say "The risk of drinking from this mug is no greater than the risk of drinking from any other ceramic mug" I'll be happy.:)

Or even if somebody from Telltale can say "The risk of drinking from this mug is slightly greater than the risk of drinking from a mug without the sticker" I'll at least be more informed and better able to decide whether or not to drink from it.:cool:

P.S. I've bought plenty of mugs here in Australia and never seen a sticker like that before so we definitely don't put those stickers on everything over here.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Not sure about anywhere else, but like someone posted in another thread, people are more "sue-happy" in California than elsewhere, so it is common for manufacturers of pretty much anything to put disclaimers and other warnings on their products.
    For example, at Safeway (where I work), we have to post a warning (Prop 65 as well) by every display of balsamic or red wine vinegar.

• Risk of drinking from this mug is no greater than the risk of drinking from any other ceramic mug.

• The content of the drinking vessel is probably more likely to harm you than the vessel itself. Depending on the content of course.

Add Comment