User Avatar Image

Favorite (or not) Puzzle?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 716 users

So there are lots of good puzzles in adventure games, but lots of lame ones too.

What is everyone's favorite puzzle in an adventure game? How about least favorite one?

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'd have to say that my least favorite puzzle would be the monkey wrench one in MI2.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

My least favorite puzzle would have to be when you're to open the vault in Grim Fandango, and my favorite is the carnival of the dammed at the end of The Curse of Monkey island.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Wear dog in Simon 2 or the keycard(or whathever you got the cat to make) in The Gene Machine has to my least favorite puzzles

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Favorite: The whole "El Pollo Diablo" routine in CMI. Makes me giggle every time.

Least favorite: Four-way tie between getting into Maximino's safe in Grim Fandango, the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2, getting into Corley Motors in Full Throttle (pixel hunts bad. Very bad.), and 75% of the puzzles encountered so far in Myst IV: Revelation.

Generally there's one puzzle per any given adventure game guaranteed to send me into conniptions. Fortunately there's at least one puzzle per game that I happen to like very much, too.

• Damn I forget this MI2 puzzle you guys are all talking about. I can remember being stuck in a few places for a while but thats part of the fun. I wasn't all that fond of monkey kombat from the last MI game, ended up writing up a table to figure it out which was a pain in the ass. I still think the best was insult sword fighting in MI1. (dunno if you would call it a puzzle but it was a favourite of mine. Then well it just became one big long run on joke in the other games.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Damn I forget this MI2 puzzle you guys are all talking about. I can remember being stuck in a few places for a while but thats part of the fun. I wasn't all that fond of monkey kombat from the last MI game, ended up writing up a table to figure it out which was a pain in the ass. I still think the best was insult sword fighting in MI1. (dunno if you would call it a puzzle but it was a favourite of mine. Then well it just became one big long run on joke in the other games.[/quote]

Insult Sword fighting was great :)

and that Puzzle with the guitar(or something like that) in Curse Of Monkey Island funny :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Insult Swordfighting is great, but when it rhymes it is even better. I love the naval swordfighting in CMI!

The monkey wrench is my least favorite. I still don't get it.
    If someone can explain to me how was I suposed to understand that I had to use the monkey with the valve, I would be thankful...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

One of the worst puzzles was the 'rotating roadsign' in Grim Fandango, IMO... but the effect after I solved it (with a walkthru) was great...

One of the best was the 'Soviet-style coal-refilling robot colossus' in Syberia.

• speaking of which walkthroughs kill adventure games. The best thing about MI was being able to finish it before someone else because they didn't know they needed to use the _____ with the ______ in order to solve the puzzle. being stuck for a week really makes you think

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]One of the best was the 'Soviet-style coal-refilling robot colossus' in Syberia.[/quote]
    Do you mean at the begining of the second game? You just had to find gas for it no? My favorite syberia puzzle was the whole process of getting the train out of Barrockstadt.
    [quote]being stuck for a week really makes you think[/quote]
    No, being stuck for a week makes you try the stupidest things just to see what it does. Why don't I try to use the _____ with the _____ ? Gosh it works!!!

Add Comment