81 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • also it seems he didnt like the game because it rips off Professor Layton, but he complains when it does stuff differently to Professor Layton :confused:.

  • to me its a weird review because its mostly negative, but in the end they give it a 3/5, which is not a bad score.

  • I don't get this "Professor Layton rip off" thing. By this standard 90% of all games are rip offs (not to mention, all adventure games must be rip offs of early Kings Quests :rolleyes: )

  • Yeah, it seems like a situation where he heard it was going to be like Professor Layton, which is one of his favorite games and was disappointed. And since he was so disappointed that he said they should've never even tried to copy Layton.

  • @Toast_Burner said: also it seems he didnt like the game because it rips off Professor Layton, but he complains when it does stuff differently to Professor Layton :confused:.

    Well, no, he complains that most things that Puzzle Agent did, Layton did better. That's not quite the same thing.

    It seems enjoyment of the game is very much tied to the Layton-shaped elephant in the room: if you can get past the fact that, yeah, it's fairly derivative, then you'll have a good time. If you can't, then you might want to lower your expectations now.

    All I care about are whether the puzzles are good and interesting, and whether the story is worthwhile. Honestly, I'm worried that it will fall in the same trap that Layton fell in, that most of the puzzles will be "chestnuts" (puzzles that are so well-known that most seasoned puzzlers could give you the answer without thinking about the problem at all).

  • User Avatar Image
    MRN

    @Paintbrush said: I don't get this "Professor Layton rip off" thing. By this standard 90% of all games are rip offs (not to mention, all adventure games must be rip offs of early Kings Quests :rolleyes: )

    Yeah, it's like saying: "Oh noes, all the Adventure Games are rip offs of the early text adventure game but with images :eek:!!!!!!111!!Q!!!"

  • Trust me, based on the puzzles we've seen so far... I don't think that's going to be an issue.

    And, considering the Layton games, or at least the first one, dunno about the others, were a direct fork of a brain teaser book in Japan... Same puzzles, same order, etc...

    You get the idea. Chestnuts be expected in Layton's case as a result of the origin of the puzzles.

  • @Yadda said: Trust me, based on the puzzles we've seen so far... I don't think that's going to be an issue.

    And, considering the Layton games, or at least the first one, dunno about the others, were a direct fork of a brain teaser book in Japan... Same puzzles, same order, etc...

    You get the idea. Chestnuts be expected in Layton's case as a result of the origin of the puzzles.

    Actually, the sock puzzle shown in the second review is very much a chestnut.

  • Well, yeah. The Professor Layton games had puzzles which were directly taken from existing puzzle books. Not just in Japan, but in the West as well. I did know the majority of those puzzles, from the start, though one can always alter a tiny rule or position in them, to make them have a different answer. It's what makes those puzzles really lasting.

    Of course, the review really didn't tell me anything other than the guy's personal opinion about the atmosphere of the game. Or anything about whether it is voice acted all the way through, etc. Telltale games are generally 'talky' type of games, where Professor Layton has no voice work outside of a few *specific* animated scenes and soundbites when you solve or fail a puzzle attempt.

  • @LordKinbote said: Actually, the sock puzzle shown in the second review is very much a chestnut.

    I chose that screencap mainly to show the other kind of puzzle (Brain Teasers; Click Puzzles). It's one of the easier solutions in the game, for what it's worth. They're not all as simple as that.

Add Comment