User Avatar Image

Is this game supposed to be BTTF4?/ The canon debate

posted by comitob on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Is this game supposed to be like a new Sequel to the Back to the Future Series, or is it going to be 3 episodes based off the movies?

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @comitob said: Is this game supposed to be like a new Sequel to the Back to the Future Series, or is it going to be 3 episodes based off the movies?

It's not supposed to be a sequel think of like an expanded universe type thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Here we go. Not surprisingly. ;)

This is a question which will be very hard to answer for TTG. "Expanded universe" is a very vague tagline serving as an answer to an equally vague question.

What is it you'd actually want to ask with the seemingly simple question "Is this BTTF 4"?
    [LIST]
    [*]That it directly continues the storyline established in the movies?
    [*]That it includes all the characters/ places from the movies?
    [*]That it's actually so non-interactive that it could be regarded as a fourth movie?
    [*]Should these episodes be regarded as an "official" or "canon" continuation of the BTTF movies?
    [*]Possibly, that Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis will even write the storyline?
    [/LIST]

And what is it Telltale and Universal actually want to communicate with the "expanded universe" idea?

[LIST]
    [*]That we'll have to deal with many more characters, possibly playing a new character?
    [*]That they do not feel bound to the BTTF movie "canon" of events?
    [*]That they do not feel bound to the BTTF cartoon " lesser canon" of events?
    [*]That they'd like to dismiss vague ideas of an "official" or "canon" story continuation up front?
    [*]That they'd like to keep any creative storyline direction a possibility?
    [/LIST]

Lots of things to think about. :D

• "Is this a sequel to the movie series" isn't a vague question. It's a specific question with a specific answer, which is "no."

Why would this be a hard thing to explain?

There are countless games out there based on movie and TV franchises, and very few of them are supposed to be sequels. The vast majority are just games based in the world of the franchise.

You're making it a lot more complicated than it actually is.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Thespis said: "Is this a sequel to the movie series" isn't a vague question. It's a specific question with a specific answer, which is "no."

So you'd rule out completely that they might continue the story of Marty McFly and Doc Brown?

• @Vainamoinen said: So you'd rule out completely that they might continue the story of Marty McFly and Doc Brown?

Just because a game is made using the main characters of a movie does not mean it's a sequel. It's just a game based on a movie.

• Here's where I'm getting my information, in case you were wondering:

[quote]Connors said the games, which are in the early stages of development, would tell new stories extending the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" lore. He teased that the "Back to the Future" games may include a DeLorean ride back to the 1970s while the "Jurassic Park" games would be intense and add new backstories to the series' man-versus-dinosaur mythology.

"The games are going to exist within these worlds," said Connors. "I wouldn't call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it's an introduction to these series. For another generation, it's a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends."[/quote]

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Thespis said: Just because a game is made using the main characters of a movie does not mean it's a sequel. It's just a game based on a movie.

Well, by mere definition of "sequel", it actually would be one.

• @Vainamoinen said: Well, by mere definition of "sequel", it actually would be one.

Read the quote I posted above.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

It's a nice quote, absolutely not unknown to me, and it definitly is not only at the core of my original post's issues, but in fact raises the questions in my original post.

If the game continues the story of the movies, it's a sequel by definition. If that's not what Connors meant, we'd still have to hear his definition of "sequel". And he'd definitly touch on the issues in my first post by doing that.

Don't get all heated up on this... we're both waiting equally passionate for new information. ;)

Add Comment