User Avatar Image

telltale might be working with nintendo

posted by reiss123 on - last edited - Viewed by 322 users

In one of the videos for puzzle agent, telltale said that it would be a professor
layton style game.
Is telltale games secretly working with nintendo to make puzzle agent?????:confused:

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, at least in my opinion, the two are different. The Layton games are more like brain teaser books with a visual novel tacked on for fun. The puzzles are ENTIRELY unrelated. Stuff like 'you want this key? Solve this riddle I came up with last night,' or 'if you want this piece of vital information, you must have solved at least X puzzles.' With games like the 7th Guest and Myst, the story is usually more esoteric, and the puzzles are at minimum vaguely related to the plot.

• I have to wonder about your point since you brought up Myst (I didn't). Myst is based primarily on environmental puzzles and is entirely different, not only from Layton & PA but from all the games I mentioned as well. Most of the puzzles in the games I mentioned are unrelated, standard puzzle-book brainteaser fare, except maybe they've been graphically themed to match that of the game's story. That seems to be true in PA, though -- the puzzles seem to be graphically related like a plate of food and tapeworms instead of pipes. If that disqualifies them from your definition of "unrelated", then I would say PA is more like the games I mentioned than it is like Layton.

• I watched some samples of 7th Guest... The puzzles are rather integrated, taking place within the world. Games like Layton and PA just jump out of the game world, pop up a box, and throw a puzzle at you. That's what I meant by unrelated. And I doubt that tapeworms and rubber bands are related to the mystery in Scoggins.

• @Yadda said: I watched some samples of 7th Guest... The puzzles are rather integrated, taking place within the world. Games like Layton and PA just jump out of the game world, pop up a box, and throw a puzzle at you. That's what I meant by unrelated. And I doubt that tapeworms and rubber bands are related to the mystery in Scoggins.

7th Guest is a funny example, because they *are* integrated in that they exist in the world of the game, but they're still completely, 100% unrelated to the story. Here's a chess set with a chess puzzle on it that unlocks a cut scene. There's a microscope with a puzzle on the petri dish. Solving it will give us a cut scene! Ooh, looking through that telescope gives a planetary word puzzle. Cut scene!

Compare that to Sam & Max, where every puzzle actually is story driven. Every action you do has a reason other than "This will get me one step closer to the end of the game." The 7th Guest has you solving puzzles for the sake of solving puzzles.

Don't think I'm being harsh on the game, because I really like it for what it is, and it will always have a special place in my heart as my first CD-ROM game (on a computer that my father said "was more powerful than God" which seems really, really, really funny now).

• Actually, you're touching on my precise point. Story-wise, in Layton, the characters, and sometimes the world itself, GIVES you the puzzles. In 7th Guest, and Myst, and other games of that type... You find the puzzles WITHIN the world.

And Sam & Max doesn't count because we're talking brain teaser games. Different kind of puzzle.

• @LordKinbote said: 7th Guest is a funny example, because they *are* integrated in that they exist in the world of the game, but they're still completely, 100% unrelated to the story. Here's a chess set with a chess puzzle on it that unlocks a cut scene. There's a microscope with a puzzle on the petri dish. Solving it will give us a cut scene! Ooh, looking through that telescope gives a planetary word puzzle. Cut scene!

Yes, exactly. Same with the safes in SafeCracker. It seems -- from the trailer; we won't know for sure til it's out -- that PA gets at least a little bit close to that kind of style. The trailer says the the town-people are doing puzzles, and there's that factory door with what looks like a puzzle on it?

So I still maintain that PA's gameplay format evolves not only through Layton but from games that go much further back than Layton.

• @Yadda said: Story-wise, in Layton, the characters, and sometimes the world itself, GIVES you the puzzles. In 7th Guest, and Myst, and other games of that type... You find the puzzles WITHIN the world.

Sounds like a distinction without a difference.

• I'm only saying that the way the puzzles are presented are more inspired by Layton in the way they are given. The puzzles are similar in most cases, yes, but the distinction is a fairly solid one, even if only in presentation.

• Because Nintendo always releases their games on Mac, PC, and iPod Touch.

• @BadStrong said: Because Nintendo always releases their games on Mac, PC, and iPod Touch.

Haha, awesome =)

Add Comment