User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpgPuzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    8bitnick Telltale Staff

Just finished, Loved the story, Loved the breaking of the 4th wall, and really glad to hear people are enjoying the music :)

• The last Layton's story, while not up to the first, was still good.

The puzzles in Puzzle Agent are connected better for sure.

But what really needs to happen is something more in the way of character development. The base for an interesting story is there, but not the exploration. There are interesting characters. The wife doesn't get enough time, Bjork doesn't. Sheriff gets most of the time and he comes across well, but you have all these people who might be interesting condensed into a two hour timeframe of gameplay.

I would have really liked more of that world and more of those people - and not like Sam and Max style where the characters are essentially joke walls, but something with some meat. I know Telltale doesn't really do character development (some efforts in ToMI not withstanding) but this is one area where it would have paid off for the game.

• I play plenty of puzzle games and work on plenty of puzzles, but the ones in this game were good but not great. I don't need a drop spoon fed to me, FYI, so take that comment and eat it.

• After beating it in 2 sittings this night I really enjoyed it. Although I really want to know whats going on in Minnesota now. Ending just kinda left you there. At least that makes it open for more. Also same with everyone else. Those Gnomes scare the shit out of me. I also found the puzzles worded weirdly. I had the same problem on the light puzzle where I had to get the crazy guy to give me the pipe. I left one space open and it acted as if it hit a wall. Also I would of liked less repeating puzzles. Such as the snowmobile, bug gates, or having to connect one place to another. Also I thought it was an interesting hint system but I had 20 hints by the end since they are so easy to get. Maybe there could be a different system for future installments? /criticize

Overall it took about 3-4 hours maybe but I think I got my moneys worth. Although I mostly bought it for that 50% preorder deal. But I got a good game out of it. And pretty please more installments please. I need my puzzles and twin peaks part of my brain stroked more.

• @Jake said: This game runs at around the equivalent of quality 1-4 on those other game's sliders.

Your best bet to improve performance is to lower your screen resolution in graphics settings!

that sums it up right there. I can play the others only on 3 and below. Anyways I played the game a little bit and plan on completing it. I did the first 2 puzzles (before I had to go) and I really like the game so far. The music is excellent the game looks just like handdrawn and animated which is a big plus.
    I like the puzzles so far but was a little irritated that I did not need to turn the pieces of paper for the first puzzle (but I guess the first puzzles are designed to be a very easy start in the game, I hope I will see how hard they may get)

• I haven't read everything on this thread as I noticed a few mini spoilers and since I haven't finished I don't want to know. So sorry if I'm repeating what people have already said:

The music, story (or what I've seen so far), characters, and character voices are all really good. I also like the way you've done the cursor. I like that it sends a small radar out from the point where you've clicked, which allows us to see the hotspots for that area. It's a really good way of doing that, I think. Anyway, I'm going to get back to the game now.

• Got to say that I really love the music in this game.

• @quickfics said:

Sure, a handful of the puzzles fell flat, including one I solved correctly (given the stated rules) twice, only to have it be rejected. I'm looking at you, final gnome-delivering bird puzzle.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

But yeah, I would love to know if we're going to see more Puzzle Agent or not, it was absolutely brilliant.

Add Comment