User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpgPuzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Do you mean "Hot Hawks"? It's pretty easy to prove that there's only one solution to that given the stated rules. I had trouble that it sometimes connected lines I didn't want it to in a way that was difficult to see.

I must say I'm pretty disappointed. The art and sound were great but I thought the writing was pretty lacklustre by Telltale's standards (not the story, just the individual dialogue lines - as though the writers found themselves at a loss writing in a sparse style where every line doesn't have to be exposition, a hint or a joke.) Also there were a fair few typos, which just looks shoddy.

The puzzles were largely uninspiring, although I liked the bug ones - a nice variation on Shikaku.

And some of the puzzle instructions were terrible. I was shocked when I saw the number of playtesters listed in the credits: if you're going to punish people for experimenting with your puzzle (which is understandable in a format where many answers are multiple choice) then your instructions have to be crystal clear, so people have a reasonable chance of getting them first time. We should be told that every square needs an arrow in it, or that the elevators are going to move simultaneously etc.

I'd happily play more episodes, but they need to be a lot less rough around the edges.

• Actually it was rule #4 of the hydraulic lift puzzle - "A lift will stop moving once it reaches its goal" (although that should probably say "A goal" to not give the false impression that the lifts have to stay in order, which some people have been confused about.)

I think the problem is that the rules are on a separate page, which makes them difficult to remember.

• @richmcd said: Do you mean "Hot Hawks"? It's pretty easy to prove that there's only one solution to that given the stated rules. I had trouble that it sometimes connected lines I didn't want it to in a way that was difficult to see.

Actually you're quite right, I just had a quick look and somehow I had skipped the part where it says the lines can't be crossed.

• @richmcd said: Actually it was rule #4 of the hydraulic lift puzzle - "A lift will stop moving once it reaches its goal" (although that should probably say "A goal" to not give the false impression that the lifts have to stay in order, which some people have been confused about.)

I think the problem is that the rules are on a separate page, which makes them difficult to remember.

Alright, then scrap that example. Weird that I was able to omit that rule.

• I agree with Linque, the "put the pieces together" puzzles were really bad. For one they are way too cluttered because in most cases the workspace is too small. When I tried moving the pieces just to be able to see every piece, they start sticking together, and before I know it half of the puzzle is solved, by accident. The furnace puzzle particularly annoying because when trying to select a small piece it would always select the pieces behind it.

Also many of the instructions in the puzzles were a bit too vague, forcing me to guess what the game actually wants me to do, instead of allowing me to produce a logical answer based on the stated rules.

• Definitely captures the look and feel of a grickle toon or comic.... I would love to see more from this world... maybe a proper Grickle Adventure game...

• @browen said:
    Also many of the instructions in the puzzles were a bit too vague, forcing me to guess what the game actually wants me to do, instead of allowing me to produce a logical answer based on the stated rules.

I don't know about "many". There were a few that could have used an extra rule for clarity, but not a whole bunch, and certainly not as many as it seemed from first glance. I personally liked that some of the puzzles *seemed* like they didn't give you enough information, but then you realize that they completely did.

• I was loving the game so much, right up until it ended. Please don't leave me hanging for too long and make this a full season. It was great.

I really enjoyed the story, its a masterpiece. The art work, characters and voices are excellent. The puzzles are decent too, I was stumped a couple of times but thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to.... um...... finish?

• Fantastic game!

Most of the puzzles were the perfect difficulty, although I had to pull out pen and paper a few times, and with the clothesline crows I swear I had the right answer at first, but it told me I was incorrect, leading to a few "what the heck" moments.

I know that in some puzzles the rules could have been a bit more explained, but it's not the end of the world. The 100% perfectionists are grumping about it, but trial and error are part of adventure gaming for me.

I play on 1920x1080 and I would love to see the graphics tightened up a bit, specifically in places where there are close ups on characters, otherwise looked great. I love the art style, and the creeeeeeepy moments were certainly creeeeeepy.

Can't wait for more of these. (although I'm sure I'll have to :))

One teeny tiny request: don't release games so late in the evening! (10pm CST here) I was thiiiiiiis close to bed, and BOOM: PUZZLE AGENT. Stayed up an extra 3 hours because of your artistry! Damn you! I have an MA thesis to write! You know your games are like crack!

<3 you, Telltale.

edit: Oh, and I thought the tiered hint system was great. Also I'm not positive, but I think the hints for the 3rd "bug puzzle" were displaying the hints for the 2nd bug puzzle accidentally, because I am certain the patterns it suggested were no where to be seen.

Add Comment