User Avatar Image

Don't let an eleven year old play it

posted by NotFury on - last edited - Viewed by 559 users

Just a warning. Don't let your 11 year old brother play Puzzle Agent first. No matter how big a Layton fan they are. One of the puzzles absolutely horrified him.

This game isn't as family friendly as Telltale's previous titles. It probably should have a warning "Resorts to cheap scare tactics".

That being said I thought the scene was cool, albeit a bit cheap, and it'll scare off any children from playing games in the franchise.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @NotFury said: Same way Puzzle Agent did.

Just finished it. Thought the ending was meh, was hoping for a conclusion, but it's just the first episode in a series of many.

I'm not a fan of horror, and because of that I wouldn't bother getitng the others in the series. Mostly because the puzzles were vague, and most of the times I failed was because the rules weren't explained, like the lifts mechanics were hazy, and with the footballers it never said if it was allowed to go to a single player only once or multiple times. There were others too.

I'm not a fan of horror movies either, but I came into the game actually thinking something like that could happen. Also, It did say that "one player" rule in the puzzle's info screen.

• @RingmasterJ5 said: I'm not a fan of horror movies either, but I came into the game actually thinking something like that could happen. Also, It did say that "one player" rule in the puzzle's info screen.

See, I just thought it would be Professor Layton, but with a dark atmosphere throughout the whole game, instead of only at the ending like in Layton 1. That tower was creepy, but the rest of the game was bright and sunny, or a well lit night etc.

Had no idea it would do that. My brother didn't either, the poor little dude.

• There are at least two. Probably three.
    But *effing awesome*
    EDIT: I really didn't think the game was going to be creepy at all until I saw the "Hidden People" short, and remembered seeing them on TT before.
    Then I curled up in the effing fetal position the first time I saw one in the game, and practically had a seizure when they screwed up your puzzles

• @NotFury said: Just finished it. Thought the ending was meh, was hoping for a conclusion.

The ending was already too much of a conclusion for me.

• @NotFury said: See, I just thought it would be Professor Layton, but with a dark atmosphere throughout the whole game, instead of only at the ending like in Layton 1. That tower was creepy, but the rest of the game was bright and sunny, or a well lit night etc.

Had no idea it would do that. My brother didn't either, the poor little dude.

Did you watch the movie it was based on or the movies/genres it was compared to?

• I jumped when they appeared but it wasnt as bad as a screamer. I really liked the fact that they added a few of those in, and it wasnt like it was for the hell of it, it had something to do with the story.

• I wasn't shocked or freaked out. More so,"What the hell's going on?" went through my head. Then, "Aw, damn it, got to restart the puzzle."
    @NotFury said: Same way Puzzle Agent did.

Just finished it. Thought the ending was meh, was hoping for a conclusion, but it's just the first episode in a series of many.

I'm not a fan of horror, and because of that I wouldn't bother getitng the others in the series. Mostly because the puzzles were vague, and most of the times I failed was because the rules weren't explained, like the lifts mechanics were hazy, and with the footballers it never said if it was allowed to go to a single player only once or multiple times. There were others too.

How were the lift mechanics hazy (I assume you mean the end)? It seemed pretty clear cut to me. It said if it was in the finish zone it would stop moving, same if near a wall or barrel of it's direction, and f it touched a bear trap it'd blow up.

• @prizna said: I jumped when they appeared but it wasnt as bad as a screamer. I really liked the fact that they added a few of those in, and it wasnt like it was for the hell of it, it had something to do with the story.

They didn't have to do it they way they did though. It waited a few seconds until you were concentrating on the puzzle, then "BAM!". It was a classic screamer, with gnomes instead of zombies/whatever.

Could have just had the gnomes show up during dialogue. Wouldn't have been as freaky, but it also wouldn't have been as cheap.

• I really liked this scene. Made the hidden people feel more omnipresent and threatening. Not much of a screamer though really.

• @NotFury said: Same way Puzzle Agent did.

Maybe you're just reading too hastily? Both of these were explained rather clearly.

Add Comment