User Avatar Image

On the ending complaints- (SPOILERS DUH)

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like the ending, personally. I think it fits, and even more sofor a pilot as this is somewhat how pilot's end

• I'd be much happier that if they started fresh for the possible full season. Although the games story left a lot to your imagination, this is a common occurence in Grickle comics and videos and everything seems finished. Almost like a classic Goosbumps story, if anyone remembers the style...

• I thought the ending fit well with the rest of the game (and with the other Grickle videos, and also with the Twin Peaks vibe - or any of those 'investigating unexplained phenomenae' shows).

I wouldn't mind an explanation in future games, but for a pilot it worked well. Although at the time I definitely felt like I was missing something.

• I'm more boggled about minor things such as the cherry tobacco in the diner (Does Nelson have his own Smoking Man?), the screwdriver in the alley and "Astronomers note new moon" article in the newspaper (Any connection to the Astronaut and the weird spaceship dream?).

The ending is a little strange, but it works for this type of stories.

• The tobacoo I didn't put much thought in but the screwdriver I did. Ofcourse random objects thrown about are good for distractions

• The screwdriver is further proof for the repairs men alibi

• Oh, wow, I didn't even think about that.

• @Andorxor said: The screwdriver is further proof for the repairs men alibi

@Andorxor said: Oh, wow, I didn't even think about that.

Wow, I didn't think of that either, not even on my second playthrough. It was one of the things that truly puzzled me.

• @Secret Fawful said: The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

My disappointment with it was more due to the worry that it will fail (being a pilot episode and all) and that there WON'T be a conclusion. I was intrigued and in that sense it succeeds, but still,l I was left wanting. Perhaps more because I was into the tale rather than the puzzles (much like Sam & Max) for much of it.

• I like the ending. Very appropriate. Personally I won't even mind if the mystery remains and we never see the Hidden People again. It is slightly annoying to not figure out who left the tobacco or why there was that graffiti on the chairs.

Add Comment