User Avatar Image

On the ending complaints- (SPOILERS DUH)

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Perhaps the hints or enough was given to give the solution to both. If I had the game I would think closely about it. It might be a case where all the needed clues are given but they just leave it up to the really intelligent player to figure it out. Or maybe I'm wrong and they didn't do anything of the sort. Good mysteries do though.

• @Spadge said: I'm more boggled about minor things such as the cherry tobacco in the diner (Does Nelson have his own Smoking Man?), the screwdriver in the alley and "Astronomers note new moon" article in the newspaper (Any connection to the Astronaut and the weird spaceship dream?).

The ending is a little strange, but it works for this type of stories.

The screw driver is for the repairmans alibi
    Im not sure what the tobbaco is
    I think that Aliens are monitoring or controling the events, so they send clues to Tethers to help guide him to do what ever it is they what (Get the door open so the gnomes can reach Isaac?)

• @Secret Fawful said: Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

Try the game, and then post your views on the ending. It's pretty anticlimatic. It doesn't feel like a finished game at all, it just feels like a demo.

• @NotFury said: Try the game, and then post your views on the ending. It's pretty anticlimatic. It doesn't feel like a finished game at all, it just feels like a demo.

I disagree. The ending fitted the game perfectly

• A pilot is a demo. Just a longer one.

• A cliffhanger would have worked.

However the ACTUAL ending isn't. So it feels like a let down.

Although I guess it could work for episode #2 if it was "they made him think he was back home, yet he still is over there" ending (which would get my preference).

• From my experience, TV pilots (especially recently, though not generally with comedies) tend to have a self contained story but also have a few lose threads which can be used to weave a continuing story if it is picked up for a full series/season. In my mind, this is exactly what Telltale have done with Puzzle Agent.

• I liked and disliked the ending. I don't mind that it didn't answer anything, but the problem that I had with it was that it was so abrupt. It was all like "puzzle, puzzle, puzzle...crash through window END!" And he was back in D.C. I wish we had been shown more of Tethers's interactions with the townsfolk before he returned to his office.

Add Comment