User Avatar Image

That dinner distribution puzzle - good but not-accepted solution

posted by Harald B on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I've seen a few people bring this up, and some other people disbelieving, so I thought I'd demonstrate just what the issue is. The puzzle I'm talking about is helping Glori get the right dish to each patron.The title is Diners and Dishes.
Here's what I figured is a (and in fact the only) correct solution:
4lrqys.png
Let's go through the rules on this one:
[LIST=1]
[*]Nobody ordered a dish resembling their spouse. Check. (but see below)
[*]One lady ordered a dish resembling the fish-eating man next to her. Check.
[*]The icecream is next to the ham. Check?
[*]Exactly one patron has a dish resembling him/her. Check.
[/LIST]
The only way this solution can be incorrect is if onion-man and fish-lady are spouses, but then the setup is misleadingly incomplete.

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In other semi related news, I like the scott c cameo.
    TheDog-copy.jpg@NotFury said: that is definitely a possible solution. Across from does mean next to really.
    ...no it doesn't.

  • @doodinthemood said: So how can 1 and 2 ever be true?

    Because "next to" could be around a corner of the table as well.

  • @LordKinbote said: Because "next to" could be around a corner of the table as well.

    That's precisely where the semantics of this puzzle get weird. Around the corner counts as "next to" for Rule 2, but the fish lady and the pig lady don't count as being "next to" each other for the banana split and ham.

    Essentially, the game treats the table as an open U shape, instead of a continuous rectangle, which is a bit odd.

  • @razzberry said: That's precisely where the semantics of this puzzle get weird. Around the corner counts as "next to" for Rule 2, but the fish lady and the pig lady don't count as being "next to" each other for the banana split and ham.

    Essentially, the game treats the table as an open U shape, instead of a continuous rectangle, which is a bit odd.

    Maybe a better rephrasing would be "the person who ate the banana split is next to the person who ate the ham." It's harder to argue that people across from each other are next to each other.

  • @LordKinbote said: Maybe a better rephrasing would be "the person who ate the banana split is next to the person who ate the ham." It's harder to argue that people across from each other are next to each other.

    Or the picture could have had them all in a straight line. It may have looked a little odd, sense normally tables aren't set up like that, but I think suspension of disbelief would allow it for the purpose of this puzzle.

  • @Linque said: Even though you can reason why the correct answer is the only one accepted, I agree that these kinds of issues should be dealt with - it's reasonable to presume that the picture above is a valid solution. There shouldn't be solutions like this (and the one in the sound wave puzzle) that seem like they're ok but aren't, because the game interprets the rules differently than a player might.

    Hot hawks had another similar issue. Also in the chair puzzle you were able to assemble the picture upside down, which wasn't a valid answer. The puzzles should be designed so that you don't have answers that might reasonably be mistaken for the correct one.


    Yeah that chair puzzle got me too. I had to use all 3 hints to see it needed to be upside down.

  • So, what's the right solution?

  • This puzzle is sooo f*cked up!
    I used all three hints and still can't get to the solution!

    RULES:
    1. Nobody ordered a dish resembling their spouse.
    2. One lady ordered a dish resembling the fish-eating man next to her.
    3. The icecream is next to the ham.
    4. Exactly one patron has a dish resembling him/her.

    HINTS:
    1. The onion guy likes fish
    2. The banana guy likes banana split and the chicken woman likes burger
    3. The fish woman likes chicken

    So i did (clockwise from banana guy):
    Banana-burger-fish-onion-chicken-ham. WRONG?! WTF?!

Add Comment