User Avatar Image

We want TOMI on XBL !!!!!

posted by Fliter on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I am maybe the only one on earth that is waiting for TOMI on XBL since the original release...

Why?!?! Because I have enjoyed so much playng S&M on the sofa with the joypad that I i just consider this as the only way to play TOMI...

Now TOMI has been released on PSN...

I WANT TOMI x MY XBOX360!!!

I am the only one here?!?!

What is that? It is an exclusive agreement with Sony?

It is incredible... xbox360 has only taken old & already (long time) released TellTale games...
PS3 get S&M3 and now TOMI....

Bad move Telltale...

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Didero said: Their engine is already multi-platform, since they've released games on all platforms, and they make all of them with their Telltale Tool. But just having the game for a certain platform is only the start. You need to bugtest the game entirely on every separate platform, increasing the time required linearly for every extra platform. Then you need to work out deals with the platform owners (in the case of consoles), again increasing the time and cost for every extra platform.
    With their monthly release schedule, they just can't do too many platforms at once. You can already see it a bit with 'Sam & Max Season 3'. Originally, they aimed to release each episode simultaneously on four platforms (PC, Mac, PS3 and iPad). Since the iPad version didn't run too well, they already had to drop that for simultaneous release. The episodes have had a few more bugs than other TT seasons, possibly because they have to release for three platforms at once each month, instead of the one they were used to previously.
    So 'just make the engine multiplatform' is far too simplified.

I agree with you! my reasoning is far too simplified but this is my basic premise! It will be such a more complex argumentation!
    But again I still believe that this semplification serve the purpose...

And about the engine, I believe that TT need a "real time" multiplat engine (just like CryEngine or UE) that is able to port a content in real-time over the different platforms...

And about all the costs you are talking about... well to me they should be called investments...

• @MusicallyInspired said: None of this makes me believe any less that you're a know-it-all.

You are right.... Too much text!!!

• This is why I bought all three systems.

• @Fliter said: And about the engine, I believe that TT need a "real time" multiplat engine (just like CryEngine or UE) that is able to port a content in real-time over the different platforms...

And about all the costs you are talking about... well to me they should be called investments...

First of all, you're referring to two of the biggest engines in the gaming development world. Those engines have MILLIONS of dollars in dev costs dumped into them, so you can't honestly expect TTG to compete with them in any fashion.

Second, there is no such thing as a "real-time" port. You don't just hit the "port" button and have it come out flawless. You will still need to have a few team members tweaking it and optimizing it for the platform, and creating workarounds for any bugs that may pop up due to differences in the operating systems, etc. The notion that all they have to do to make a port is make some kind of "port generator" is ridiculous, as the Telltale Tool is already designed to output platform specific code. They still need to put some programmers and QA the crap out of any port they want to release.

You're insanely oversimplifying the porting process.

• @SHODANFreeman said: First of all, you're referring to two of the biggest engines in the gaming development world. Those engines have MILLIONS of dollars in dev costs dumped into them, so you can't honestly expect TTG to compete with them in any fashion.

Second, there is no such thing as a "real-time" port. You don't just hit the "port" button and have it come out flawless. You will still need to have a few team members tweaking it and optimizing it for the platform, and creating workarounds for any bugs that may pop up due to differences in the operating systems, etc. The notion that all they have to do to make a port is make some kind of "port generator" is ridiculous, as the Telltale Tool is already designed to output platform specific code. They still need to put some programmers and QA the crap out of any port they want to release.

You're insanely oversimplifying the porting process.

Another person from the "I'm a computer hacker because I can use an app I found on google" generation pwned by reality.

• @Fliter said: In the end maybe I'm not nice to you. Sorry for that.. I also can understand that maybe you feel a sort of unconditioned love for TT. But this is not my case.

No, I just disagree with you and decided to discuss.

Maybe the impression of the “know it all attitude" depends from the fact that English is not my mother tongue... And so I tend to write in less mediated way…

No, it's because you're trying to tell us how an experienced games company should do things based mostly around theory. Reading how to drive doesn't make you a good driver.

Anyway, I am still convinced that TT is a great Company for what concern the "contents creation" but not so great in regards of their business decisions.

Ok, my point is simple. Based upon my own observations TTG has achieved exactly what they set out to do. They brought back what is essentially an unpopular type of genre. Risky business decision from the beginning, don't you think?

It would have been a good decision to bring us genres that appeal to the mass market. FPS, GTA-clones and other violent action games that we've been inundated with over the years.

Recently they updated their games engine, as shown in the newest Sam and Max series. I imagine the sales of TOMI helped greatly.

Their games are getting good reviews.

They have games on pretty much every format now. Not to mention that the frequency of games released over the year seems to be on the increase.

This isn't a love for the company, these are facts. They're growing as a company meaning they're getting something right.

From that point of view, I think they're doing well.

Seeing as the PC is where they get most of their sales and that the console market aren't nearly as interested in these types of games, surely it makes more sense to concentrate on your target audience (PC)?

• @alexonfyre said: Another person from the "I'm a computer hacker because I can use an app I found on google" generation pwned by reality.

Hey, the Unreal Engine is free for noncommercial projects so he could always try making a game like that himself... :D

np: Burger/Ink - Flesh & Bleed (Las Vegas 2010)

• @Purple Tentacle said:
    Ok, my point is simple. Based upon my own observations TTG has achieved exactly what they set out to do. They brought back what is essentially an unpopular type of genre. Risky business decision from the beginning, don't you think?

It would have been a good decision to bring us genres that appeal to the mass market. FPS, GTA-clones and other violent action games that we've been inundated with over the years.

Recently they updated their games engine, as shown in the newest Sam and Max series. I imagine the sales of TOMI helped greatly.

Their games are getting good reviews.

They have games on pretty much every format now. Not to mention that the frequency of games released over the year seems to be on the increase.

This isn't a love for the company, these are facts. They're growing as a company meaning they're getting something right.

From that point of view, I think they're doing well.

This is the usual case "we are doing well..."..
    But how better you could have done?

And, for sure, they have lost HUGE opportunities with TOMI.

• THEY. WILL. PUT. IT. ON. XBL. EVENTUALLY. JUST. WAIT.

Now let this thread die for the love of all that is good...

• @MusicallyInspired said: THEY. WILL. PUT. IT. ON. XBL. EVENTUALLY. JUST. WAIT.

Let's hope you are right....

Add Comment