User Avatar Image

Alternate Solution to "Hot Hawks" Puzzle

posted by Koomazaz on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Hey guys,

I think the "Hot Hawks" puzzle should have at least one additional solution.

*SPOILERS*

This is the birds puzzle which has more gnomes than total bird-power, and you are supposed to leave out one of the birds. Rather than leave out a bird, I chose to have some of the birds carry less than their maximum weight. There is no rule saying that each bird must carry its maximum weight, and I feel that my solution is equally valid. In fact, having a bird carry no gnomes means that it is carrying infinitely less than its max weight.

*END SPOILERS*

Here is a link to my solution (http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3348/hothawks.png), which I believe should be added as a possible answer to the puzzle.

What do you guys think?

Koomazaz

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Same here! Looks like it's a common solution that had been overseen. If there were a rule that the bird can only carry EXACTLY that weight and not less (ie. 2 blue bird feet on a single gnome), the puzzle would have been fine.

• Did same solution, and was quite frustrated that it wasn't accepted (fit all criteria/rules).

• Same here. Makes it impossible to finish the game with a perfect score with skill alone.

• @DaVince said: Same here! Looks like it's a common solution that had been overseen. If there were a rule that the bird can only carry EXACTLY that weight and not less (ie. 2 blue bird feet on a single gnome), the puzzle would have been fine.

No it wouldn't, because if you left out the one bird, it wouldn't be carrying exactly its capacity.

• The blue bird was carrying a world of guilt from having to make the other birds do all the work. It was at maximum capacity for that.

• Yeah, once I realized the game had some semantic problems (discussed in depth in many threads) I started looking at the math of the situation and realized what they meant (though I had a major :rolleyes:)
    I wish it would have said (on both puzzles): "the blue bird can carry no more and no less than 1 on each of its legs, the mallard can carry no more and no less than 2 on each of its legs..."

Would have been much more clear.

• I think you guys are jumping to conclusions that the "maximum capacity" constraint would be put on this puzzle. Weren't there 4 of these puzzles in total, with only the first one requiring the birds to be carrying a full load? Even if it did apply, one bird carrying nothing would fail that requirement.

It just looks like an oversight to me.

• As I pointed out in the Hot Hawks topic in the Hint forum, I also tried this solution first and was disappointed to have it rejected by the game.

I hope it wasn't intentional to keep the rules of the puzzles ambiguous (I would consider that a fundamental design flaw for a game like this), and that it is indeed just a simple oversight.

• @Forbin said: Weren't there 4 of these puzzles in total, with only the first one requiring the birds to be carrying a full load? Even if it did apply, one bird carrying nothing would fail that requirement.

Actually, out of the 4 3 required it. And the 4th suddenly dropped it without mentioning. Or, actually, it required it, unless the bird was unloaded at all...

It's pretty bad all around.

• If I remember correctly, one rule also says that the legs of each bird have to be loaded evenly. That's why a single bird carrying 3 or 1 (or any uneven number of) gnomes isn't allowed...

Edit: Mh, of course the owls are allowed to carry 1.5 gnomes per leg, so fractions seem to be allowed after all.

Add Comment