User Avatar Image

Bad movie book adaptations...

posted by benzelz on - last edited - Viewed by 834 users

Here, you can talk about a movie that has the worst adaptations to the book ever.

I LOVED the Percy Jackson movie but it was soooooooooooo different to the book!!!

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The 2nd & 3rd "His dark materials" movies. Where are my knife & spyglass movies? Huh?

Grrrrrrrr.

(I quite liked the Golden Compass adaptation of Northern Lights, fwiw).

• Stardust was great but nothing like the book left out lots and made changes I think they where delibret because the author said he didnt want to see a movie try to be fathful and fail so it was looly based on it. Neil Gaiman once described the movie adaptation as the novels cousan rather then adaptation.

EDIT
    Im not moaning about the changes I liked most of them and like its diffrent from the book its allmost like 2 diffrent storys.

• @Javi-Wan Kenobi said: I'd like to do a twist to the topic:
    Usually film adaptations of books are worse than the original book, but what happens the other way around? I mean book adaptations (novelizations) of films.
    I've read eight novelizations (the six Star Wars films plus the Clone Wars movie, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom -the old one by James Kahn, not the new one that appeared when The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released), and I think that mostly are cheap merchandise, although they add new scenes that aren't on the movies (mostly scenes that are on the original script but were cut from the final edition).
    The only book I trully think that is way better than its movie is Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

That reminds me i need to ask if that indiana jones and the crystal skull book i got my little cousin was any good

Also im sure very few of you have heard of this, but
    Alex Rider: stormbreaker. The series is genius a great series start to end(sadly there was an end only 2 more books left in the series:() but the movie was just terrible. It was changed a lot. In the book he was givin a gameboy that has many gadgets desgiused as games while the movie he was given a DS that was an actual DS and the games where the gadets along with games, plus he has a girlfriend he doesnt even meet until the 3rd book. PLus there where very few action sequences while there where many many MANY in the book

• Anything steven spielberg has directed based on a book.

• @Icedhope said: Anything steven spielberg has directed based on a book.

Was thinking about this. Jurassic Park is a brilliant film but there's quite a few things different from the book. I hear The Lost World is worse but I've not read that book.

• I first read the subject line in the same way as Javi.
    I think there are plenty of terrible books written after movies. A fair amount of bad movies based on books, too. Some good movies.

Movies and books are different and tell their story differently. I think people don't keep it in mind enough. You can't just copy-paste from one to the other...

Also, I think movies are more of a match for short stories. It seems to me a lot of novels would work better as a series or miniseries. Obviously, that would cost more and bring in less money, so you can't be surprised it happens more rarely.

• @Sailorcuteness said: Stardust was great but nothing like the book left out lots and made changes I think they where delibret because the author said he didnt want to see a movie try to be fathful and fail so it was looly based on it. Neil Gaiman once described the movie adaptation as the novels cousan rather then adaptation.

EDIT
    Im not moaning about the changes I liked most of them and like its diffrent from the book its allmost like 2 diffrent storys.

I bought that book expecting it to be the same as the movie, but as you say they are like two different stories. I like the book, and will most likely read it again, but in this case, I prefer the movie.

• @Gman5852 said: That reminds me i need to ask if that indiana jones and the crystal skull book i got my little cousin was any good

Also im sure very few of you have heard of this, but
    Alex Rider: stormbreaker. The series is genius a great series start to end(sadly there was an end only 2 more books left in the series:() but the movie was just terrible.

Huh? This is an ongoing series. It hasn't ended yet. You're referring book five, Scorpio, right? Cause there's like three more after that and still going strong. Rejoice! :D

• @Zonino said: Was thinking about this. Jurassic Park is a brilliant film but there's quite a few things different from the book. I hear The Lost World is worse but I've not read that book.

It's a completly different story, and just like Jaws he cuts out quite a lot.

• Not a book, but I think it's worth mentioning: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Add Comment