posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpg

Puzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Loved the art style and the freaky red gnomes screwing with the puzzles. A little more environmental interactivity would be nice, but definitely not a deal breaker. More please!

NC

• I enjoyed the game, almost entirely because I had no idea of the direction it would go. Surprised the hell out of me.

Anyways, great game, but the puzzle aspect SERIOUSLY needs work. And it's not even really work so much as editing. Several puzzles were very unclear (some weren't even possible without assuming certain things, which i didn't do, because I assumed the puzzles would be flawless, leaving me very stuck at some parts of the game), some puzzles were repeated unnecessarily, and really, after some time I just decided not to do puzzles not mandatory for the story. Because that was what shined.

If I had to rate it, I'd say:
    Atmosphere and Story: 9.5/10
    Actual Gameplay: 5-6/10

Oh, and also, if this turns into a full out series, the next game should be focused on something entirely different; the x-filesy "there is no answer" ending was one of my favorite things about the game.:eek:

• G****** random gnome attacks almost made me pee my pants! Great game, but some of the puzzle instructions were pretty confusing; took about five read-throughs before I finally understood what to do on a few of them. Overall though, a very fun few hours.

• Just finished it as well and i stay with my opinion.

It's kind of stupid but it felt attracted to Gloria and i also liked the music playing there, melancholic mood.

Puzzle Agent is so strong on the art/atmosphere side but it's rather weak and unbalanced on the gameplay/puzzle/dialogue side.

Btw i think Nelson uses his gun way too fast, actually he shouldn't have one at all.

• @taumel said: Btw i think Nelson uses his gun way too fast, actually he shouldn't have one at all.

I can't speak to how quick Nelson uses it, but in the US our law enforcement people carry firearms.

• Think about it, he is a puzzle agent.

Maybe he throws a rubik's cube at someone but i really don't think he would use guns, even a Mc Gyver, who was less of a whimp, never did, like most of the great detectives.

• Whoa! Real Life (TM) got in the way, so I've just finished the game!
    What a great game you've made!
    Yes, It might not have a lot of replay value (unless you'd had like 5 versions of each puzzle shown at random), but what a blast I've had!
    I had my doubts with the art, but it worked really well. The music was superb, yes, I'm also digging a proper soundtrack. The voice acting was exceptional, and the interface simply magnificent.
    I had my share of trouble with some puzzles, but out of the 37, I stumbled only on 4... the rest were solved in one attempt.

So... when's the rest of the season coming out?

• @taumel said: Think about it, he is a puzzle agent.

Maybe he throws a rubik's cube at someone but i really don't think he would use guns, even a Mc Gyver, who was less of a whimp, never did, like most of the great detectives.

You talk about mood and feeling and everything, but you want an FBI agent to not use a gun, and instead to pull a rubber chicken out and wobble it around or something goofy like that? I think it adds a ton to Nelson Tethers' character that, while he's a "Puzzle Agent," he is still an FBI agent first. He went to the academy. He had weapons training. He has a chain of command, etc. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the case at all! It's far more interesting to me that way. Also, Nelson only brings out his gun when he is scared. I don't think it's in his nature to do so, but he falls back on his training and typical FBI behavior when he has no idea what else to do, or what is appropriate.

• Nelson can have a gun. Guns aren't evil. Why my good friend, Abraham Lincoln, has an arm made out of a gun.

lincoln_evil_gun.gif

This is a recent picture I took of him on his patio. Remember, kids, Abraham Lincoln's motto is, "Guns don't kill people. I do."

God Bless you, Abraham Lincoln! salute

Add Comment