User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpgPuzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: Nelson can have a gun. Guns aren't evil. Why my good friend, Abraham Lincoln, has an arm made out of a gun.

lincoln_evil_gun.gif

This is a recent picture I took of him on his patio. Remember, kids, Abraham Lincoln's motto is, "Guns don't kill people. I do."

God Bless you, Abraham Lincoln! salute

I'm sorry, but you seem to be in error. According to John Hodgman's master work 'More Information Than You Require,' Abraham Lincoln was portrayed by Edwin Booth for most of his presidency and had a hook for his right hand. A HOOK.

• Well, Abraham Lincoln is standing right next to me and he says John Hodgman is a $%&#@$&. In other words, his facts were wrong.

• @Jake said: You talk about mood and feeling and everything, but you want an FBI agent to not use a gun, and instead to pull a rubber chicken out and wobble it around or something goofy like that? I think it adds a ton to Nelson Tethers' character that, while he's a "Puzzle Agent," he is still an FBI agent first. He went to the academy. He had weapons training. He has a chain of command, etc. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the case at all! It's far more interesting to me that way. Also, Nelson only brings out his gun when he is scared. I don't think it's in his nature to do so, but he falls back on his training and typical FBI behavior when he has no idea what else to do, or what is appropriate.

So it's FBI training to just shoot around once you feel overstrained?

That's a pretty bad training if you ask me.

In my opinion you're mixing up fiction with pseudo reality too much. Honestly i can't take someone as a real FBI agent who scratches old chewing gum leftovers from the floor or the walls for...buah... and solves bug riddles.

Secondly who tells you that the puzzle department also gets trained in shooting like the other departments?! It also could be that they don't do this by intention in order to sharpen their intellect for solving puzzles and difficult situations. Last but not least Nelson could have a gun but due to his character he does not use it because it scares him and he doesn't feel comfy with it. And so on...

Nelson not using a gun could more add to the atmosphere, deliver an interesting background rather than destroying it. It just depends on how you colour him.

• @taumel said: So it's FBI training to just shoot around once you feel overstrained?

That's a pretty bad training if you ask me.

In my opinion you're mixing up fiction with pseudo reality too much. Honestly i can't take someone as a real FBI agent who scratches old chewing gum leftovers from the floor or the walls for...buah... and solves bug riddles.

Secondly who tells you that the puzzle department also gets trained in shooting like the other departments?! It also could be that they don't do this by intention in order to sharpen their intellect for solving puzzles and difficult situations. Last but not least Nelson could have a gun but due to his character he does not use it because it scares him and he doesn't feel comfy with it. And so on...

Nelson not using a gun could more add to the atmosphere, deliver an interesting background rather than destroying it. It just depends on how you colour him.

It...its just a cartoon video game, man. Just roll with it. Nelson might be an FBI agent, but hes also a human. Everyone has personality tics like the gum chewing.

• Yep, it's just an aspect which i found disturbing and somehow superfluous.

• I felt that the final puzzles where too easy, with the exception of the platform puzzle. That one was ok in terms of difficulty. While I figured out that they would move together, I can see why people assume otherwise, that was unclear. What does bug me is having to restart it just because a piece went missing. A piece that was never used mind you. I can't say that I like the abrupt ending either.

But what bugs me the most is that the gum collecting was buggy. If you collect too fast, pieces aren't counted and you have to collect them again. And I think the mouths where a bit buggy this time. And I honestly don't like intentional quality degradation. The low framerate was bad.

But I liked the how note, it helps when you accidentally solve a puzzle. But then again, that only happened with the annoying fitting puzzles. I don't like the final two of those. The cog parts didn't fit together in any logical way. And the arranging puzzles plain shouldn't snap at all. But they also had issues with what piece I picked.

As for the GUI, I have only one thing to say, the bouncy scrollbars suck. It is not a good idea, and it just annoys the user.

As for the lack of quality settings, I think at least the snow falling could be disabled. If the horrible noise can be part of the quality settings, why not the snow?

And the key puzzle had me assuming that each fish had another inside it, even if it already was inside another one. And yeah, get the key, jump out of the window?

• @Secret Fawful said: Well, Abraham Lincoln is standing right next to me and he says John Hodgman is a $%@$&. In other words, his facts were wrong.

Well, would you listen to Abraham Lincoln knowing that... um... HE SUPPORTED THE HOBO EMPIRE?

• Fantastic, although the puzzle design could have been better in parts it was still a very enjoyable experience.

I really hope this one can take off and become a full fledged series :D

• User Avatar Image
    SiN

This is was the first Telltale game I didn't enjoy much.

If you played Professor Layton, which inspires this game, you'd feel Puzzle Agent is a cheap gimmick with no original puzzles.
    If you plan on copying a game, make sure to do it right Telltale!

Also, I didn't like the animation style, though the art was great.

The game was not a total disaster, but I'd give it a 5/10 or 6... And nothing more.
    Hands up for IGN review.

I have hope in Telltale, and I believe future iterations should be a lot better.

• @taumel said: Secondly who tells you that the puzzle department also gets trained in shooting like the other departments?!

All FBI agents get standard weapons training.

(I wasn't expecting it to be that easy to find information on! Thank's FBI for your over-informative website!)

Add Comment