User Avatar Image

Is this game supposed to be BTTF4?/ The canon debate

posted by comitob on - last edited - Viewed by 758 users

Is this game supposed to be like a new Sequel to the Back to the Future Series, or is it going to be 3 episodes based off the movies?

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • i hope everything that happens in this video happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
    Its so freakin epic!! I mean it!!

• "Alternative version" works as a definition. I mean, it's been done before. And where the hell did that Lord of the Rings MMORPG come from, anyway? That's right - it's all alternative, non-canon stuff.

• @ShotgunStalker said: i hope everything that happens in this video happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
    Its so freakin epic!! I mean it!!

that was great....

• well I hope they stick with the movie, Whats back to the future without the deLorean or marty,doc, hill valley ect... I dont think UH will have them stray 2 far away from bttf the movie plot lines. Its like when they make jurrasic park the game they dont have dinos in it . These are things that stand out in the movie and things we have come to love, thats we are all fans! So hopefully they make game play like in the movie! Have a chase in the twin pines mall, stop biff from getting the sports alamanic and having a alt future.

• Think of it like Star Trek. Deep Space 9 wasn't a "sequel" to The Next Generation, which itself wasn't a sequel to the original series. The later television series weren't sequels to the earlier films. They were all just different stories in the same universe. I figure the TTG Back to the Future game(s) will share a similar kind of relationship to the Back to the Future movies.

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

To answer this question without treading over NDA lines... it goes a little something like this:

I think it is safe to assume based on the survey that we are not looking at retreading the movie plot-lines.

Therefore, considering that there is no additional time machine for Doc and Marty to have adventures with before the initial Twin Pines introduction of the DeLorean (within their local timeline of events, I mean,) these games could only ever be within the realm of sequels-- as there is no interesting prequel material without the invention of time travel.

As with any licensor, we are bound by guidelines, rules, and cannon that the property owners consider essential to the license. Even if we create new characters, they have to be approved by the Bob Gale/Universal machine, who so far have been very excited by the ideas we have been presenting them, and have been tossing equally exciting "why not's" back at us. We are pretty much ignoring the cartoons, for what it's worth, and focusing simply on the cannon as presented in the movies and creating new cannon with the blessing of Bob Gale.

Ultimately, something I emphasize almost every time I respond to a thread here, those of us working on Back to the Future are passionate about the movies. We don't want to make a game that features random, unknown characters driving a time travelling Mini Cooper.

For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley. We're not doing Bill and Ted, or Terminator, or Hot Tub Time Machine... all great flicks, though.. of a different ilk.

S'alright? S'alright! ;)

• @Sinaz20 said:

For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley. We're not doing Bill and Ted, or Terminator, or Hot Tub Time Machine... all great flicks, though.. of a different ilk.

S'alright? S'alright! ;)

This makes me smile. :D

Sounds like you guys got the core of BttF down perfectly.

• By the way, I wouldn't really mind a Bill and Ted game from you guys o_o

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Thank you so much for your post, Sinaz - that's a strain of philosophy I've been hoping for. ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: What is it you'd actually want to ask with the seemingly simple question "Is this BTTF 4"?
    [LIST]
    [*]That it's actually so non-interactive that it could be regarded as a fourth movie?
    [/LIST]

Wasn't Tron 2 a videogame?

Add Comment