User Avatar Image

Piracy

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 907 users

pirate_kitten_011.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to see your views on piracy. Do you think it's alright under certain circumstances? Completely against it? No view? What about emulation? DRM?

Personally, i think it's okay, if and only if you have bought the exact copy of the game you are pirating. Say for backup purposes, convenience (all you games in one place, for handhelds etc) or if your game disc gets stolen/lost/broken, and it isn't available in retail anymore (out of print, and not in circulation in second hand shops).

Having said that, i've only downloaded one game (excluding digital games through here and steam) in the past 3 years.

Note: Do not post links to pirating sites. Do not flame people for having different opinions to you, just civilised arguements.

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @corruptbiggins said: I do download US TV shows though only the ones that are hard to see over here.

Same here. There are DVDs for those shows but they have a different regional code. The show I am pirating is not even broadcasted here. Not even a translated version.

• In here, and all latin america in general, it's basically the norm.

I remember being little and my parents giving me as a present some game in a box of floppies, and me thinking that was the only and normal way of buying games (and in fact right there and at that time, it was).
    I got the sense that in other countries people selling pirated stuff are well hidden, and acting like a drug dealer, while in here you got people selling movies in the street next to a policeman or games being exposed at hardware stores.

Anyway, now wherever you are, it's more evident how buying digital goods its more like an option rather than the only thing to do. In the past you bought a game or a cd because it was the only thing you could do, now you buy something because you support it or because you tell yourself its the right thing, but not anymore because its the only way.
    It's complex,
    For now, piracy seems unstoppable and if the equilibrium of people downloading and people buying remains it will be all good, but if it grows to become a real threat then some things will have to change. Internet it's making a lot of business models to mutate. Only time will tell.

• I really hope internet police don't track people with this...

But, I do it with music, and games that are ONLY unavailable. There are some pretty old classics out there, and I don't want to start hunting on ebay. (other games end up not working, and I end up buying them, however) I do it with music because my family doesn't really get CDs anymore, and also people will end up putting whole albums on Youtube, which means millions of people listen to their favorite songs for free as well.
    I also do it with movies, only because DVDs are just pushing the price of a $7 movie ticket to a $20 DVD.

The only reason people want to stop piracy is only so that they can make more money off of their merchandise. Is it really a win-win situation with piracy at an end? No, it's not. We (the consumers) would lose money, and then corporations would all get it.
    It's more of a win-win with piracy, as we don't spend as much, and they gain a good amount of money.

Piracy would be completely useless with games if companies had you access them only from an online system. Say, Telltale Games?

• I work for the FBI you are all in trouble now.... Just kidding.... ARRRRR!!

• @BoneFreak said: $7 movie ticket

Whoa! That's cheap! I want to live wherever you live. I just went to go see an animated movie on Sunday and it cost me $14. And it was a normal movie theater (not one with a pre-show and stuff). They didn't even have a student discount. Now I'm grumpy. Stupid high cost of living...

• its $8.75 + $3 for 3D where I live... This Mexican restaurant I live near has a deal where for $25 you get two dinners, two drinks, and two movie tickets its actually a really great deal..... And the food is really great.

• The $14 was for non-3D. I don't even want to think about what it would have been for 3D. From now on, I'm going to take the twenty minute drive to a different theater that is $9.50 for students. Still expensive, but I feel better only spending one ten dollar bill for some reason.

• @Alcoremortis said: Whoa! That's cheap! I want to live wherever you live. I just went to go see an animated movie on Sunday and it cost me $14. And it was a normal movie theater (not one with a pre-show and stuff). They didn't even have a student discount. Now I'm grumpy. Stupid high cost of living...

$7 is the student discount..

And could we please stay on topic?

• I think the cost of a ticket is directly tied to the topic... so its on topic.

• I haven't gone to the theatre in years because of the price. It's often cheaper to buy the DVD, even new, and you can watch it more than once and/or resell it afterwards.

Not an excuse to download it illegally in my opinion, though.

Add Comment