User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island- really dark screen HELP

posted by kallyinu on - last edited - Viewed by 353 users

Ok so heres the jyst i installed chapter one, sounds are perfect etc i get to the main menue and ALL i can see is the text
thats it
i figure mabey it will fix when i play it
it worked
kinda...... well you see i can see the black SHAPE of shings... but no detail its all black like i cant tell whats what. HELP PLEASE, it could be a direct X problem but i have no clue how to fix that either

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Sounds familiar. I would guess it is an old graphics card or driver.

I can check that if you give us some more information.
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.

[*] You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    [/LIST]

• Excuse me, but i'm having this problem, too. Just tried to run Monkey Island Ep. 1, and i get no graphics when the game starts - just text and textureless objects, not to mention the game runs really slowy...
    (Sam & Max Ep. 104 and 201 run fine, though... But they're older games.)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Hyper Emerson said: Excuse me, but i'm having this problem, too. Just tried to run Monkey Island Ep. 1, and i get no graphics when the game starts - just text and textureless objects, not to mention the game runs really slowy...
    (Sam & Max Ep. 104 and 201 run fine, though... But they're older games.)

I'm sorry, but your system does not meet the minimum requirements of the game in many ways.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) MP , MMX, 3DNow, ~900MHz
    Memory: 224MB RAM
    Card name: SiS Mirage Graphics
    Chip type: SiS 741
    Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Most of it just makes it slow, but your graphics chip additionally does only support DirectX7 while the game requires DirectX 8.1 compliance. That's why graphics are missing.

It might not help much, but you can try running the game with low settings this way:

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download this prefs.prop.
    It has a 800x600 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

Under "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.

• There's no file in the link you posted - i just get redirected to Filedropper's homepage. =/
    Thanks, though!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Hyper Emerson said: There's no file in the link you posted - i just get redirected to Filedropper's homepage. =/
    Thanks, though!

Please try again now. It looks like they deleted it earlier. I'll have to find out why.

• Got the file.
    ...Graphics are still all black. Thanks, though! '_'

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Hyper Emerson said: Got the file.
    ...Graphics are still all black. Thanks, though! '_'

You're welcome. I fear there's not much that can be done unless you upgrade your system.

• i'm having the same problem, and as far as i can tell, my system meets minimum requirements. i'm attaching my diagnostic info.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@daveghax said: i'm having the same problem, and as far as i can tell, my system meets minimum requirements. i'm attaching my diagnostic info.

Card name: NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL
    Driver Date/Size: 7/12/2006 06:19:00, 4493568 bytes

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Date and Size: 5/27/2003 10:05:42, 578304 bytes
    Your graphics card uses the same chip as the GeForce4 Ti4200 which is known to cause trouble.

I would still try setting the graphics quality to 1.

Sadly there are no new Graphics card drivers you can try. You might be able to update your sound driver with the Realtek AC97 Drivers though.

You will probably need a new graphics card.
    According to the specs your system has an AGP 8x Pro slot. There is still a wide range of graphics cards available you can use to upgrade your system, from a performance similar to your current card, to a lot more.

• uhm hi my name is peter and im having probs i dled the tales of monkey island and its really dark here are my graphics card ati radeon 7500 32 vram 256 mb ram directx 9.0c 4.09.0000.0904 ive got a compaq 1.8 ghz xp

Add Comment