User Avatar Image

Piracy

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 444 users

pirate_kitten_011.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to see your views on piracy. Do you think it's alright under certain circumstances? Completely against it? No view? What about emulation? DRM?

Personally, i think it's okay, if and only if you have bought the exact copy of the game you are pirating. Say for backup purposes, convenience (all you games in one place, for handhelds etc) or if your game disc gets stolen/lost/broken, and it isn't available in retail anymore (out of print, and not in circulation in second hand shops).

Having said that, i've only downloaded one game (excluding digital games through here and steam) in the past 3 years.

Note: Do not post links to pirating sites. Do not flame people for having different opinions to you, just civilised arguements.

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The only time I 'pirate' something is in the following situation(s):

    An album is released by a band I like but I wasn't keen on the first single from it.

    A TV programme is being shown in another country with no hint at when (or even if) it may be available to legally watch in the UK.

    Games that have no demo available - I can't afford to risk such high prices on something I can't sample beforehand. Steam really should do a one off time limited 'rental' for $5 that you can put towards the cost of the game.

    In all of those situations I buy the thing I've downloaded if I like it. If I don't like, obviously I never listen to/watch/play it again.

    Oh, and I'm totally 'for' emulation of old Mega Drive / SNES / etc games. I like to play them portably and aside from a few official compilations (which I legally own), there are no other ways to play them on PSP or DS.

    @Fealiks said: As for music, I don't have as much of a problem with downloading it. An album takes much less work, money and pain to produce than movies or games do, so any loss isn't too bad. It's also better, in my opinion, if an artist makes money touring and through promotion rather than through record sales.

    Yes, but if records don't sell well the labels don't give the bands an opportunity to make another, no matter how many people buy tshirts at gigs.

  • I wanted to buy songs by artists I like. Digitally, because I'm avoiding CDs, they're hard to carry around and really I only use them for a minute, the time it takes to extract them so it seems like a waste of a CD, shipping, etc.

    But I couldn't because my IP isn't in France. And the songs aren't available in other stores.
    My current plan is to buy them while I'm on a trip to France, but seriously, for things like that piracy makes so much sense to me. They're not even letting you buy the stuff legally, what are you supposed to do?

    EDIT: oh, and I can't use a proxy because I have to download them through a program, not on the website itself.

  • I am eagerly waiting for the day people would finally be able to illegally pirate ice creams, computer hardware and secret slaves.

  • @uniqortkga said: I am eagerly waiting for the day people would finally be able to illegally pirate ice creams, computer hardware and secret slaves.



    You won't have to wait long, that's being rolled out in a MS Update next Tuesday.

  • I did, however, take about a 6-month break from pirating. And now, I have only 3 items in my torrent list, and I don't even use them anymore.

    As for music, I just download the a video from Youtube that has the music and convert it to an MP3. Is that really illegal? No. Someone posted the video on YouTube, no copyright infringements happen, and I am just being clever.

  • @BoneFreak said:
    As for music, I just download the a video from Youtube that has the music and convert it to an MP3. Is that really illegal? No. Someone posted the video on YouTube, no copyright infringements happen, and I am just being clever.



    You won't get the same sound quality, however. It will, most of the time, sound fuzzy unless you've downloaded a high quality video.

    Also, I don't know if they work as well as your method (as far as sound quality goes), but there are several websites that will convert a Youtube video directly into a downloadable MP3. I won't link any of these sites directly, but they're pretty easy to find with a simple Google search. It will save you a lot of time and effort if you decide to use it.

    @BoneFreak said: I am eagerly waiting for the day people would finally be able to illegally pirate ice creams, computer hardware and secret slaves.

    Haha! Agreed. By the way, that reminds me of this. I thought it was pretty funny, and it's on topic.

  • @BoneFreak said: I did, however, take about a 6-month break from pirating. And now, I have only 3 items in my torrent list, and I don't even use them anymore.

    As for music, I just download the a video from Youtube that has the music and convert it to an MP3. Is that really illegal? No. Someone posted the video on YouTube, no copyright infringements happen, and I am just being clever.



    Try YouTube Downloader by BienneSoft. It lets you convert the video to a very high-quality MP3 after downloading. I have used it for a year now and no problems. I only use it for songs I can't get anywhere else, though(like the extended Power Rangers theme or Eric Cartman's Poker Face).

  • @RingmasterJ5 said: Try YouTube Downloader by BienneSoft. It lets you convert the video to a very high-quality MP3 after downloading. I have used it for a year now and no problems.



    That's the one I actually USE! I just didn't see Hayden's post until now, but the music I downloaded off of it has been top-notch so far.

  • Hmm, maybe I'll even use it after the positive words I've heard about it here.

  • ...
    I'm pretty sure downloading an illegal youtube video is illegal. I'm not even sure if watching it is legal.

Add Comment