User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpgPuzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm impressed at this game. Adds literal puzzles to adventure. The question that comes to my mind is what is Nelson Tethers' next case, assuming he has another case somewhere.

• @henke37 said: The low framerate was bad.

I disagree. It was a design choice to match the Grickle animated shorts as you can find on youtube.

And it worked perfectly, in my opinion.

• I just finished the game & it's my opinion you should go for the full series.

Pretty nice game, with some good puzzles. I like the fact that some of them are optional - adds a bit more to the game. You can take the long road or the shortcut, pretty nice idea. The being able to re-solve every puzzle after you ended the game is a touch of genious.

Only thing I didn't really like was how long it took to tell you if you're right or wrong.

Seeing as I'm pretty frickin' bad at math, all the math puzzles are trial & error for me, so it's a bit annoying to have to wait all that time between submissions.

Other than that, near perfect game.

I want more.

Cheers!

• Just picked this up from Steam today with the 10% off... Downloading now -- excited to get into it.

• I both love and hate this game..

ive had many times where my snowmobile just vanishes and my story cant progress unless i load or quit.
    tons of bugs in text going outside the bubbles.. and many many repititious puzzles just with increased difficulty.
    id like to see other aspects of this game flourish .. as of now its worth about 5$ and good for a ds.. not a pc or wii or something.

i never had suspense when doing the accepted or rejected.. as i found that none give you anything of note.. on the pc version anyway..
    didnt unlock anything..

all i did was run 2 games.. one the trial.. and side by side.. another with perfect score.. no difference existed.. thanks chief im the top puzzle guy..

freeplay mode after that was.. sort of a joke.. as this game has -99231823812 replay value..

fix that somehow.. or make the puzzles gulp random .. and you might have something..

bugs... to many of the same puzzle just redone (most were old windows desktop games reminding me of the ski between the flags style )

but the games story is cool.. and well i love puzzles..
    just fixxxxxxxxxxx stuff..

for once support the darn games.

• I'm loving the game so far!

The only nitpick are the rendering glitches and the fact that the framerate is rather low, even at 800x600.

@jp-30 said: I disagree. It was a design choice to match the Grickle animated shorts as you can find on youtube.

I think there are two things here. One is the animation style, which is not very fluent, but that's OK. That's part of the art style. The other is that, at least on my PC, the framerate is unbearably low at the default resolution, let alone my native resolution of 1680x1050. Think the mouse moving only once per second or so. That's uncontrollable if you need to drag puzzle pieces and such.

@jp-30 said: That's because there is nothing in the game that the "higher quality" settings in Sam & Max/TOMI/W&G use. There's no depth of field, glowing lights, shadows, etc. This game runs at around the equivalent of quality 1-4 on those other game's sliders.

There must be something, because I ran S&M (season 1&2) and ToMI at 1680x1050 after setting graphics to 3, and they were smoother than Puzzle Agent is at 800x600. So I'm 100% sure there is something fancy going on in the graphics department that my (admittedly outdated, but officially conforming to the system requirements) graphics card can't pull off.

• why use such an odd res? just curious

• What, 800x600? 1024x768? Those are classical resolutions. 1680x1050 is my monitor's native resolution, which is also fairly common for 16:10 widescreen monitors.

• @Soultaker said: So I'm 100% sure there is something fancy going on in the graphics department that my (admittedly outdated, but officially conforming to the system requirements) graphics card can't pull off.

I am sure about that too. And I really don't think this game will do very good at the minimal requirements that are stated on the site. Not at Quality Setting 4 which the game is using.

• yea soul im that dumb that i dont know about the stock res..

was the game even made for widescreen? if not why use it? just disable it..

set the res to something else..

some odd random games require some res to run in proper non window or fully functional manner

i personally see no need in wide screen for gaming.. now for movies thats a whole different ball of wax..

(you can set each application to use specific res and refresh .. etc)
    just fyi..

im saying1680x1050 is not a standard game coding resolution.. just the first few you mentioned...
    and heck.. 800x600 is almost all but gone.. lol

Add Comment