User Avatar Image

What is the DeLorean of 2010?

posted by Sinaz20 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.7K users

Greetings Programs!

I just wanted to start a little discussion that, mind you, has no bearing or official connection to the BttF game whatsoever. I'm not being cheeky - this really just is random banter and discussion.

Way back, someone in the office joked, "The DeLorean is asking too much money, so we're going to get likeness rights from Universal and hire a sound-a-like."

But it got me thinking-- The DeLorean paid off on so many gags in the BttF series...
[LIST]
[*]It was a well known, yet hard to get, American exotic car... why not build a time machine with style!
[*]It was known for having serious performance compromises making the 88mph part a bit of a in-joke gag.
[*]It's heavy as all get out-- yet it eventually can fly.
[*]It looks like the alien spaceship on the farmer kid's comic book.
[/LIST]

So, I'm wondering, if BttF were made today, what cars would have been good candidates for a 2010 time machine?

Personally, DeLorean is the be all end all, and it still works as a goofy car to build a time machine out of. It's almost as if DMC made the car specifically for this movie. It's even fun to say with an incredulous inflection: "Wait a minute, Doc... are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean??"

I think maybe I could see a Hummer working-- it's gag worthy.

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Sinaz20 said: I think maybe I could see a Hummer working-- it's gag worthy.

Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

Or it could go the other way with a little electric/smart car. They're easily recognised yet fairly uncommon, underperform compared to "real" cars, and tend to have a slightly futuristic look while being delightfully dinky.

Does it even have to be a car? Personally I'd love a time-travelling Vespa. Iconic good looks, distinctive retro styling, but kind of wimpy compared to "proper" motorcycles, and amusingly less than masculine. I'd buy one.

• The DeLorean worked because it looks futuristic. I don't think the fact that cars are heavy and some cars are even heavier is an iconic part of the DeLorean's appeal. Maybe my age doesn't give me the perspective needed for that, though?

There aren't really any cars that match the DeLorean that have been on the market in the past decade, I don't think.

The best way to go, I think, would be something along the lines of the electric or air pump cars like the Airpod. They don't have the same cultural "resonance" as the DeLorean, but they have a "futuristic" look. You could also probe concept car designs, I suppose, but I think there's some appeal in something that actually exists now.

I dunno, the Hummer doesn't seem "sleek" enough to match the DeLorean in terms of matching stylistic value, which I think is the most important thing to consider when looking at an equivalent to the DeLorean.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Rather Dashing said: The DeLorean worked because it looks futuristic. I don't think the fact that cars are heavy and some cars are even heavier is an iconic part of the DeLorean's appeal. Maybe my age doesn't give me the perspective needed for that, though?

For me, the appeal of the DeLorean as a time machine lies at least partially in its ridiculousness. Sure, it looks futuristic, but it also very much looks like a product of its time. It's just an 80s car pretty much like any other 80s car, except the doors open upways.

I like that it's NOT a sleek, well-polished machine (as a modern concept car would be). It's very obviously a homemade effort. It looks like what a time machine would look like if it was built by one crazy dude in his suburban garage. It's conceivably real, and that's where the love is for me.

Audience perspective could well have been different back in 1985 though. :p

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@puzzlebox said:
    Or it could go the other way with a little electric/smart car. They're easily recognised yet fairly uncommon, underperform compared to "real" cars, and tend to have a slightly futuristic look while being delightfully dinky.

A Smart Car could be funny... like I imagine the high pitch whine of its engine as it struggles to reach 88mph... and when it bursts through time, all it's paneling flies off.

• If i were to choose any car it wold be a Figaro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Figaro) its a strange retro car that looks kinda futuristic but also old at the same time. Performance wise its basically a Nisan Micra so not too impressive, and its not that well known.

As a bonus it was even marketed with the slogan "back to the future" I want one even if its not a time machine.

• As soon as I saw this thread I started photoshopping seems like Sinaz20 and I think alike.

smart2thefuture.png

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

To me the thing that stood out about the DeLorean when I watched BttF as a kid was that it both looked and SOUNDED mean during action scenes (thanks to them dubbing a 302 V8 over the wimpy stock V6 for the film), and at the time I had no idea what the cultural significance of the car was.

I could see the Hemi Charger filling that gap nicely in modern times :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyPamyWotM#t=0m46s

• I think a Toyota. Getting up to 88 mph, no problem! Stopping/slowing down... Not so easy.

• @Sinaz20 said: A Smart Car could be funny... like I imagine the high pitch whine of its engine as it struggles to reach 88mph... and when it bursts through time, all it's paneling flies off.

Should be no problem with it's bigger, if problem-ridden and thus discontinued brother... ;)

np: Sole And The Skyrider Band - Longshots (Plastique)

• @Shauntron said: To me the thing that stood out about the DeLorean when I watched BttF as a kid was that it both looked and SOUNDED mean during action scenes (thanks to them dubbing a 302 V8 over the wimpy stock V6 for the film), and at the time I had no idea what the cultural significance of the car was.

I could see the Hemi Charger filling that gap nicely in modern times :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyPamyWotM#t=0m46s

Camaro > Charger even with Michael bay trying to make it a robot. I also thought it was a Porsche engine in the Delorian (in 2 and 3).

Add Comment