User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 4 - "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls"

posted by ttg_Stemmle on - last edited - Viewed by 5.4K users

Hideli-hodeli, Sam & Max-arinos!

Mike Stemmle here, writer and co-designer on Episode 304 of Sam & Max, a.k.a. "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls."

As this penultimate episode in our senses-shattering series careens its way through the approval process, getting ever nearer to your grubby little hands, mice, and joysticks, now seems like a good time to open up the thread for "insider" questions of various sorts.

Allow me to prime the pump with some tantalizing tidbits of info:

- The identity of this episode's villain is a big mystery.
- A character who hasn't been seen this season will return.
- Horrible things will be done to the Delorean. I mean the DeSoto. Dang, that's gonna cause problems, isn't it?
- Mr. Norrington will reveal himself.
- Stinky's "Mr. S" will make himself known.
- Grandpa Stinky will experience a great deal of joy.
- This episode features an exceptionally lame gag that I've been waiting nearly two freaking decades to make.

Oh, and we get to read everyone's mind.
Mike "Roger Ebert Rocks" Stemmle

332 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Planeforger said: Or...hm...perhaps someone's trying to provide Max with an army, for the coming apocalypse?

Hey! That's a good one!

• Now, with all that speculation going on, with all these screenshots and the recent heat wave and all, last night I had one of the weirdest dreams ever. I don't want to go into detail, but it revolved around me being pursued by an army of zombi-like anthropomorphic dogs in diapers. Later an angry-looking space gorilla armed with a katana went on a rampage slicing through people annoying him ... lengthwise. In the end all the dogs turned into humans wearing Sam's cloths and just randomly went around the scene, while a crime scene investigator looking like Laurence Fishburne complained about the clones corrupting the crime scene. Then the human version of Max (he didn't even look like a human version of Max, I just had the feeling it was him) tried to explain, that they weren't clones but the result of Sam being hit by an exploding transdimensional passage shattering him into multiple beings. I woke up, when a cop who reminded me of Randy Disher from 'Monk' tried to examine one of the victims causing the ventral half of the body to slide of the dorsal part.

Man, I'm never gonna eat three servings of chili con carne with extra pepper sauce before going to bed ever again ...

• @GinnyN said: Why Sam?

Because Sam's awesome and deserves as much focus in the plot as he can get. And he's a giant dog in a suit and fedora, what other explanation does there need to be?

If they turn out to be dolls, I called it before episode 1 was released.

• @Shwoo said: Because Sam's awesome and deserves as much focus in the plot as he can get.

This is very true. I remember making a fandomsecret about this a whiiiile back, and so far with Season 3's treatment of Sam, I'm pleased.

• @Shwoo said: Because Sam's awesome and deserves as much focus in the plot as he can get. And he's a giant dog in a suit and fedora, what other explanation does there need to be?

Appart of that. Which one is the excuse for such always deserved focus in the plot? (And yeah, we're agree on it ^^!)

• I'd guess his relationship with Max, but I'm not sure. I wonder if Sam's ability to see Max's visions is for convenience, or plot related. If it's plot related, that might be a good reason to have Sam clones as well.

@Cheri said: This is very true. I remember making a fandomsecret about this a whiiiile back, and so far with Season 3's treatment of Sam, I'm pleased.

Oh, that was you? I remember that secret. I remember someone said in the comments that the games have no characterisation, and although I didn't say anything, I really disagreed with that.

• Yes, that was me. I complaaained. And I don't remember that comment! Hmph, I woulda said somethin'.

• @Shwoo said: I'd guess his relationship with Max, but I'm not sure. I wonder if Sam's ability to see Max's visions is for convenience, or plot related. If it's plot related, that might be a good reason to have Sam clones as well.

The "Somehow" of his comment when they saw the future vision for first time I found it very strange. I was suspecting Sam has a relation with Max's Powers somehow since that comment, because, if just were for convenience, probably we would hear a somesort of lampshading (Or IT'S a red herring!)

• @Cheri said: Yes, that was me. I complaaained. And I don't remember that comment! Hmph, I woulda said somethin'.

Never mind, I totally misremembered that. The comment that irritated me was
    I sympathize, OP, but expecting character-based stuff from Sam & Max is rather like expecting sympathy from a fish.

• Hey Mike,

I have one major important question.
    Will the guy being squashed between two buildings FINALLY be in this episode?
    You guys have been keeping me waiting since the pre-order of the Devils Playhouse!

Add Comment