User Avatar Image

Piracy

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 721 users

pirate_kitten_011.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to see your views on piracy. Do you think it's alright under certain circumstances? Completely against it? No view? What about emulation? DRM?

Personally, i think it's okay, if and only if you have bought the exact copy of the game you are pirating. Say for backup purposes, convenience (all you games in one place, for handhelds etc) or if your game disc gets stolen/lost/broken, and it isn't available in retail anymore (out of print, and not in circulation in second hand shops).

Having said that, i've only downloaded one game (excluding digital games through here and steam) in the past 3 years.

Note: Do not post links to pirating sites. Do not flame people for having different opinions to you, just civilised arguements.

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Friar said: I've recently gotten into seeing films at the cinema. For me, the allure is spending the day out with friends, and having a laugh. Yes, we could just all camp out in front of my TV, but it's not the same. Plus, if it wasn't for the little kid who went "uh-oh" everytime something bad happened in Shrek 4, i would hav hated that film.

Shrek 4? is that still out?

• @Gman5852 said: Shrek 4? is that still out?

He might've seen it a while ago.

And Friar, you are right. I hated Shrek 4, and there was no kid saying uh-oh.

• @Gman5852 said: Shrek 4? is that still out?

It's only been out 3 weeks over here.

• @Friar said: It's weird how the moment something jumps into digital media, it's considered illegal to anything to it. But when i said it's not much worse than lending a physical copy, i meant because you could both be playing the game at the same time. It might be legal, but you could make an arguement for it being more harmful to sales than use& share. If both parties wanted to play a physical game on release, they would have to buy individual copies, as they can't both use one disc. They can however share digital files, so would only need to buy one. At the end of the day, it's not something i would choose to do (mind you, i rarely borrow/lend out physical stuff), but i don't frown on people who do it.

Agreed. I swap purchases from Good Old Games with a friend. When one of us buys something there, the other is free to nab it. I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly. It really is no different than "Hey, let me borrow your copy of such-and-such", since we buy our own copies of what we like just to support GoG.

• @ShaggE said: Agreed. I swap purchases from Good Old Games with a friend. When one of us buys something there, the other is free to nab it. I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly. It really is no different than "Hey, let me borrow your copy of such-and-such", since we buy our own copies of what we like just to support GoG.

I dished out Puzzle Agent to my bro, hardly felt criminal. He loved it by the by. Plus I can share it with him despite being in different cities, which is pretty cool and I wouldn't be able to do with physical media

• @JedExodus said: I dished out Puzzle Agent to my bro, hardly felt criminal. He loved it by the by. Plus I can share it with him despite being in different cities, which is pretty cool and I wouldn't be able to do with physical media

This is another instance that I see pirating as acceptable, when it's among your close family members. If one member of the family owns a physical copy of a game, then it's unlikely that another person from the same family is going to buy it; they'll just wait until the buyer in the family is no longer using it, then they'll borrow it. But this is inconvenient because the buyer may need it back off their family member for some reason and, in JedExodus's case, is unable to get it back due to living far apart. So, the best option is just to pirate the game, because the borrower wouldn't be desperate enough for the product to buy it (because they know that a family member owns it), but they still want to be able to use it. So, for convenience reasons, piracy wouldn't really hurt here.

• @RingmasterJ5 said: I do something that most people call very close to pirating(but I don't mind at all): PS3 Gamesharing with a close friend. In this sense, my friend has pirated around 60-70 PS3 and PSP games(including TDP).

This is specifically allowed in the license for PS3/PSP accounts.

• This thread has been a good read. It's incredible how rational the discussion has been for something that's usually a pretty touchy subject.

• @Hayden said: This thread has been a good read. It's incredible how rational the discussion has been for something that's usually a pretty touchy subject.

What's really incredible is that this is how the entire forum was a few months ago. It's nice to get a little of that back.

• @GuruGuru214 said: What's really incredible is that this is how the entire forum was a few months ago. It's nice to get a little of that back.

Agreed, for some reason things gradually changed in the forums ever since the end of the Tales of Monkey Island season.

Add Comment