User Avatar Image

Piracy

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 786 users

pirate_kitten_011.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to see your views on piracy. Do you think it's alright under certain circumstances? Completely against it? No view? What about emulation? DRM?

Personally, i think it's okay, if and only if you have bought the exact copy of the game you are pirating. Say for backup purposes, convenience (all you games in one place, for handhelds etc) or if your game disc gets stolen/lost/broken, and it isn't available in retail anymore (out of print, and not in circulation in second hand shops).

Having said that, i've only downloaded one game (excluding digital games through here and steam) in the past 3 years.

Note: Do not post links to pirating sites. Do not flame people for having different opinions to you, just civilised arguements.

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hayden said: This thread has been a good read. It's incredible how rational the discussion has been for something that's usually a pretty touchy subject.

Aye, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it's going. I avoided this thread for awhile, imagining the usual strawmen and angry mobs.

I admitted this in the IRC channel some time ago: Piracy is actually what made me a devoted TTG customer. I was curious about this newfangled "Culture Shock" game, so I torrented it, expecting some dire, low-budget shadow of Sam & Max Hit The Road.

Next thing I knew, I was buying every new episode the day they released. :D

So, an overdue apology to Telltale for yoinking Culture Shock when it came out. When I saw the quality and love for the genre that went into it, I knew I couldn't keep doing that. Be assured that I've legitimately obtained all subsequent games.

• I used to care a lot about the physical aspect of things, namely CDs. But when I had to move continents on a couple days' notice, I just couldn't take all of that along. I took tower-cases and filled them with CDs and DVDs and I don't have anything else. I don't even have all the booklets and stuff.

And while it was incredibly hard at the time, it kind of freed me of that ever since. Now I'm like "physical CD? Why?" I never use them apart from the one time after buying them, to extract the music. And I need to either go to the store or, more often, order it online and wait for it to ship, as opposed to buying it and downloading it right away.
    Now I can't talk about iTunes, never used it. I've heard horror stories about it, people buying stuff there and being unable to use them on their devices and ending up pirating a copy just to be able to listen to the stuff.

I also like the option of buying only a few tracks. While I like buying a whole CD and discovering some songs I might not have gotten to hear otherwise, sometimes there is really just the one or two songs you like on an album.

Mind you, some CDs I still buy physical copies of. I have a specific example in mind: Rouge Sang, by Renaud.

This album is a physical hardcover book. Each song has its own page with the lyrics and illustrations so that the whole album is like a graphic novel. I think it's awesome. I wouldn't get that from just the digital files.
    Mind you, I would have bought the digital files+book and not cared about getting any CDs.

I think DVDs and videogames feel different to me because I use the physical object all the time. It's physically inside the drive while I use the product. If I was just coopying it somewhere and then putting it on a shelf to stay untouched forever, I'm sure I'd feel differently about it.

• I only pirate something if I know it is impossible to get any other way or I want something that I can put onto a disc for backup if I bought the game off Steam, eg, Monkey 1 and 2; I still bought them, but got a pirated version just to put on a disc.

I don't really know if this counts as pirating, but sometimes I crack games I have, but only because I can't be stuffed having a disc in the machine the whole time. Again, this is only with games I have actually bought.

As far as my views are concerned, I don't see it as some massive issue, but I still think that people should only do it for backup reasons.

• @OzzieMonkey said: I only pirate something if I know it is impossible to get any other way or I want something that I can put onto a disc for backup if I bought the game off Steam, eg, Monkey 1 and 2; I still bought them, but got a pirated version just to put on a disc.

I don't really know if this counts as pirating, but sometimes I crack games I have, but only because I can't be stuffed having a disc in the machine the whole time. Again, this is only with games I have actually bought.

As far as my views are concerned, I don't see it as some massive issue, but I still think that people should only do it for backup reasons.

I don't think it really is that bad in your case. Anyone who logs into an account that has the game purchased can have it on any computer they please, so you can have multiple copies with the original purchase (just not on CD).

And, do you happen to have a snazzy CD cover for it? :D

• @OzzieMonkey said: I only pirate something if I know it is impossible to get any other way or I want something that I can put onto a disc for backup if I bought the game off Steam, eg, Monkey 1 and 2; I still bought them, but got a pirated version just to put on a disc.

I've been meaning to do something like that for some of my steam games. Afterall, my Printer can print on CD's, so i could have awesome artwork on them!

• @Friar said: Afterall, my Printer can print on CD's, so i could have awesome artwork on them!

And THEN you show me them! :mad:

• @BoneFreak said: And THEN you show me them! :mad:

Heh, i've got to figure out how to work it first!

• @BoneFreak said: I don't think it really is that bad in your case. Anyone who logs into an account that has the game purchased can have it on any computer they please, so you can have multiple copies with the original purchase (just not on CD).

And, do you happen to have a snazzy CD cover for it? :D

Yeah, I do. I can show some pics if you want.

• @OzzieMonkey said: Yeah, I do. I can show some pics if you want.

REVIVED!!

And yes, please show me the pictures :D

• I accidentally pirated Torchlight.I got it from the library and keeped the installation for the case when i borrow it again.And than i found out that it runs without CD.

Add Comment