User Avatar Image

People don't like 303?!?!

posted by tabstis on - last edited - Viewed by 818 users

I think it is by far the BEST EPISODE EVER produced by Telltale!!

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    The noir section was great, but BoneFreak is right: make it the core of the game and you miss out on a lot of the other puzzles.

    Actually, I quite liked 303 for its lack of inventory- it reminded me a bit of the Phoenix Wright games, the interrogation was much like the Edgeworth title and Max's direction of Sam reminded me of Phoenix in the courtroom pressing a witness. But even those games had time away from the courtroom or interrogation, and like 303, probably would have suffered if they only used one kind of gameplay mechanic.

    I actually thought that the Sam section and the Max one at the end mirrored each other nicely as they were both non-inventory dialogue puzzles, with some more standard psy and item puzzles in the middle.

    The only thing I miss is a more fleshed out world. There really isn't nearly as much 'side story' (dialogue attached to items) in the 3rd season as there was in the second. Part of this is due to us having fewer items to begin with (302 utilized hexes and 303 had dialogues, items that could not be directly clicked on or manipulated) but 301 did have a pretty surprisingly large world.

  • @tmsmyth4 said: Inventory puzzles are lame? So every successful graphic adventure of the last 20years is lame? they are the reason we are still here playing and talking about these games 15/20 years on. Somehow I dont think we'll be talking about devil's playhouse in 2030. I agree you can have great adventure games without them (discworld noir) but I wouldnt go as far as calling them lame.

    My point is that people seem to always remember the creative, off-shot puzzles than the "stick-a-golden-tooth-in-a-helium-balloon-and-watch-'er-fly-out-the-window". Insult sword-fighting, pirate face-off, manatee insanity. Even breaking the formula just a little, like not needing to prep everyone up for battle in "Strong Badia the Free", is more memorable.

    Another thing: I do actually think people will be talking about The Devil's Playhouse in 2030. It's already become one of my all-time favorite games. I do miss clicking on random objects for clever observations, yeah. Sometimes I wish they ran with a certain mechanic further than they did (Astral Projection, interrogation). But all in all, I'd say it's a classic in the making.

  • Now I've moved on a bit from playing the episode, I think what really made me enjoy this was the sudden changes and surprises! I didnt know who stole Max's brain until I saw it before my own eyes and I loved the return of Papierwaite.

  • @Kroms said: My point is that people seem to always remember the creative, off-shot puzzles than the "stick-a-golden-tooth-in-a-helium-balloon-and-watch-'er-fly-out-the-window". Insult sword-fighting, pirate face-off, manatee insanity. Even breaking the formula just a little, like not needing to prep everyone up for battle in "Strong Badia the Free", is more memorable.

    The reason people remember those puzzles is because they were the exception in the games.

    Also, I give you 'rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle' and 'I can't use the skeleton arm with that'.

  • The act 1 and 2 are awesome but the rest meh

  • The ONLY thing I didn't like was the female voice with the over-the-top accent. & why a (fake?) British accent for an Egyptian? Why a girl's voice for a boy king?

    I loved dicking around with the corndog tower & always enjoy an angry Sam. I also loved the neighborhood renovation; made me wish I could roll around in the sand. There is no sand where I live, just mud & rocky shorelines.

  • @LikaLaruku said: The ONLY thing I didn't like was the female voice with the over-the-top accent. & why a (fake?) British accent for an Egyptian? Why a girl's voice for a boy king?

    I loved dicking around with the corndog tower & always enjoy an angry Sam. I also loved the neighborhood renovation; made me wish I could roll around in the sand. There is no sand where I live, just mud & rocky shorelines.

    I didn't think Sammunmak's voice sounded too female. I didn't even realise it was Nicki Rapp until I saw the credits. Lots of boy children in animations are voiced by women, most notable probably is Bart Simpson. Probably because the voice hasn't broke yet so unless you actually hire a child actor you have to go with that direction.

    The British accent works for me, as you usually hear that kind of thing as a stereotypical "royal" voice. For me, it wouldn't sound convincing with an American accent and I sure wouldn't recognize what an ancient Egyptian accent is supposed to sound like!

  • @Kroms said: Sometimes I wish they ran with a certain mechanic further than they did (Astral Projection, interrogation). But all in all, I'd say it's a classic in the making.

    Do you think that each episode's use of a certain toy of power and style of gameplay are "training" for the finale?

    Imagine the final episode, with all powers at the same time, and all game mechanics like interrogation, out-of-sequence gameplay, etc.

  • Would be nice, though it's not really likely :(.

  • I have to agree with TS. The best thing is the whole season is a complete story. Can't wait till the next one is out. I never can!

Add Comment