User Avatar Image

So I just finished Escape for the 2nd time, and for the first time in 10 years

posted by eMKayeN on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Spoiler warning for the game's story btw, in case you haven't played it before:

Yeah I haven't finished it since my first playthrough back in 2000. Upon finishing I've discovered that it gets a lot of hate where I don't think it's really warranted. The only bad thing I have to say is that the story gets a bit stupid towards the very end of when you're on Monkey Island with the inconsistency regarding Herman's ID and Giant Monkey Robots.

Other than that it's a good game, Lucre and Jambalaya are nice big levels filled with great locations and music, as well as some challenging puzzles, to me that is always the most important thing for an adventure game to have. Monkey Kombat is actually fairly straightforward and not that hard to understand, the only thing is you will have to write down the combinations unless you have an amazing memory.

So to summarise, Escape is better than what a lot of people say, only the story at the very end of the game is an issue, and I don't think that's enough for me perosonally to ruin the game, much like the removed intro in MI2:SE doesn't ruin that at all. Story is nice, but it usually takes backseat to the locations, music and puzzle difficulty for me.

Escape is still bottom tier when compared to the first 3 games, but it's not an awful game by any means. I've been doing a playthrough of all the games in a row and am moving on to my 2nd playthrough of Tales soon.

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • And the character models weren't horrendously bad either.

I think they were good for it's time. And, though the models are not very much detailed, the animation is great, IMO. Characters had a lot of... character.

• @Friar said: Try changing the controls in the settings to camera-based (so left moves him left relative to the screen, rather than rotates him). It makes it alot easier (although it can be a pain with smaller objects, and if the camera angle changes between scenes).

As for the art, i loved the 2D backgrounds. And the character models weren't horrendously bad either.

I should also mention that I dislike using Page Up/Down to select objects, using letter keys for interacting, and having to first take out inventory items in order to use them on other items. I'm not sure who'd find that a better alternative to clicking on things. It just kind of gets to me whenever I'm playing and prevents me from enjoying the experience.

I guess liking the character models comes down to personal preference, I hated them though. They looked especially ugly during the cutscenes where you see them close up, and Guybrush's constant Ctrl-Alt-Del grin annoyed me.

• I seriously don't understand what is so bad about this game's graphics.

mi3.jpgmonkey03.jpg

For the time, which I played video games way before then, they used the absolute best poly count possible. the textures aren't stretched, the backgrounds are clean and not blurred...

I don't get a head ache from playing the game like most 3D games before it...(Mostly 2D)

Doom.jpg

The shapes are distinct and the best for the time...unlike this...
    simon3dreview10.jpg

Unlike this the textures are fitted properly, things aren't blurry...
    The 2D is gracefully mixed with your 3D...Dynamic lighting...(Simon 3D is a classic example of low grade 3D for the time and now :D)

screen6.jpg

Any one who comes at this game for its graphics is not only a newb to gaming, but knows absolutely nothing about video game evolution, and has an extremely closed mind and shouldn't speak of standards and quality because they know nothing of it and nothing of what it was....

ivfyp0.jpg

1999 Prince of Persia 3D, character models were great. Still games like EMI have superior backgrounds, environments for their time. Absolutely superior...Let alone that EMI looks mostly smooth and isn't horribly angler.

Woopie it wasn't 2D. It wasn't bad either....

The games I started off on are so old you can't even find screen captures of them because I don't think there even was a print screen or computers now able to run them because they're so old and you can't get screens of them on new computers...

3D has never been that great, it still looks like shit in movies...even Doom 3 had heads that weren't rounded in it...

Waaa
    Waaaah...

The game looks fine and has aged well enough.

• I actually don't hate on any Monkey Island. Escape was one of my lesser favorite ones, but to tell the truth, I can say that I'm a bit harsh for saying that. For me, yes, the monkeys and the robot thing kind of was one thing I didn't like. But I think the other things that hurt it was that, in my opinion, it just couldn't live up to Curse of Monkey Island. Curse was so incredibly good, it was one of those "How in the world could Monkey Island get better than this" kind of moments. So Escape kind of felt a bit like the sequel-itis thing. That, and the way you end up doing stuff in Curse that go way beyond what you accomplish in Escape. Before Escape, Guybrush's level of accomplishments always seemed to *ramp up* from sequel to sequel.

Thus is why TOMI really worked out well following Escape. TOMI kept it episodic, but by the time you finished the game, you realized that Guybrush did stuff that was pretty big.

• @Epic Kiwi said: I should also mention that I dislike using Page Up/Down to select objects, using letter keys for interacting, and having to first take out inventory items in order to use them on other items. I'm not sure who'd find that a better alternative to clicking on things. It just kind of gets to me whenever I'm playing and prevents me from enjoying the experience.

I guess liking the character models comes down to personal preference, I hated them though. They looked especially ugly during the cutscenes where you see them close up, and Guybrush's constant Ctrl-Alt-Del grin annoyed me.

I agree, it's not as great as pointing and clicking, but i wouldn't say it's terrible. The control scheme was obviously built for gamepads, so i would reccomend picking one of those up, or a PS2 copy. I was fine with the controls in the PS2 version, even with the pressing buttons to do different actions. Each to their own i guess.

• I'm fine with Escape. Curse had a giant amusement park in the end and I don't see why a rollercoaster gets more love than a giant robot. Plus I always thought the monkeys build that robot from whatever was left from the amusement park.
    As for Herman's story, well, I might have solved that too. You see, Marley, his crew and Herman were all on the Sea Monkey and... because the whirlpool... timetravel... dressed as a cannibal... but the three-headed monkey was Nor Treblig... bla bla... Australia Cup and the Four Map Pieces. And thats probably how it happened.

• Regarding the 3D, it depends on what you're comparing it to. Compared to other 3D games at the time, EMI was one of the better looking ones. But compared to 2D games of the same period, it was ugly. The tech just wasn't there yet to make a 3D game that could compete with a 2D game visually, but there was apparently market pressure to use 3D models in every new game. Even at the time, I didn't like this trend -- yes, developers have to use new technology to make it better, but it resulted in a lot of very crude-looking games.

Probably the games that looked the best at the time and have aged the best are the more stylized ones. I think Grim Fandango is a good example of this -- the models look like they were designed to be simple, rather than looking like a poor approximation of something else. EMI doesn't have that going for it, so the look of it doesn't hold up as well, in my opinion.

• @a3HeadedMonkey said: Why else would someone ignore the illogical puzzles, terrible graphics, bad characterisation & poor controls; unless they were some sort of EMI fanboy?

The controls and graphics were certainly at least par for the course in their time. They haven't aged particularly well, but if you played a lot of games in the era and love and enjoy them then the look of Escape really isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's pretty exceptional, as doodoo! explains very well above. And this isn't even mentioning that they not only had good models, but there was also a great variety to them. Guybrush's clothing was excellently taken care of in this game, and it's something that isn't praised enough.

In terms of poor characterization, Curse ruined that already, so it's hard to start faulting it with Escape.

• @doodo! said: I seriously don't understand what is so bad about this game's graphics.

mi3.jpg

Ahh, seeing that picture reminds of that brilliant Melee Town Docks theme from the game, which oddly enough only appeared for like 10 seconds in the actual game but was used as background music for the Bonus Concepts on the PS2 version.

• I'm not sure how this...
    guybrush1.png

..looks better than this.
    guybrush2.png

I understand that it looked fine compared to other 3D games at the time, but I tend to compare it to the previous game in the series. I may be biased because I'm a huge fan of traditional animation, but it bugs me when I play Curse with its beautiful hand-drawn art and then move on to Escape with its mostly expressionless wooden marionette-looking character models. It's similar to when our favorite childhood videogame series moved to 3D for the first time on the playstation or n64 and they looked all awkward, blocky and weird. It felt unnatural and wrong.

That said, graphics aren't everything and don't make or break a game for me. In this case, the graphics are only one of several reasons I dislike EMI.

Add Comment