User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 4 - "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls"

posted by ttg_Stemmle on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Hideli-hodeli, Sam & Max-arinos!

Mike Stemmle here, writer and co-designer on Episode 304 of Sam & Max, a.k.a. "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls."

As this penultimate episode in our senses-shattering series careens its way through the approval process, getting ever nearer to your grubby little hands, mice, and joysticks, now seems like a good time to open up the thread for "insider" questions of various sorts.

Allow me to prime the pump with some tantalizing tidbits of info:

- The identity of this episode's villain is a big mystery.
- A character who hasn't been seen this season will return.
- Horrible things will be done to the Delorean. I mean the DeSoto. Dang, that's gonna cause problems, isn't it?
- Mr. Norrington will reveal himself.
- Stinky's "Mr. S" will make himself known.
- Grandpa Stinky will experience a great deal of joy.
- This episode features an exceptionally lame gag that I've been waiting nearly two freaking decades to make.

Oh, and we get to read everyone's mind.
Mike "Roger Ebert Rocks" Stemmle

332 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@Cheri said: Okay Mike, I gotta ask. What lame gag did you get to put into this game that you were so excited about?

Oh, and that bit about 'Papierwaite's hairless and ladylike torso' made me laugh so hard, absolute brilliance.

The long-awaited gag is the oblique Penn and Teller reference... have you found it yet?

Mike "The ladylike torso line was Chuck's... it rocks" Stemmle

• I got a question too, mike. Is the max-concept art on the front page supposed to have tentacles or psychic beams? They're coming out of this mouth, after all.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: The long-awaited gag is the oblique Penn and Teller reference... have you found it yet?

Mike "The ladylike torso line was Chuck's... it rocks" Stemmle

I got the Star Trek TNG "shaka" reference and the Punky Brewster fridge episode reference, but must have missed the Penn and Teller reference. I will have to go back and play again.

I know everyone says this after every episode, but this was by far my favorite this season. I have been kinda disappointed this season and this game feels like the old Sam and Max I missed from the first two seasons. I believe the constant misdirection which lead to hillarious happenings is a return to the "this might not work, but you will be glad you tried because it is funnier than hell" writing that has been so successful in the past

• Mind Reading the Newpaper Rack?

Also, did Harry used to play a part in the final puzzles? There's a vestigial "talk to Harry" at the base of the Statue of Liberty and he does eventually curse his Uncle while tentacles writhe from her crown.

• One
    @Dave247" said: I have a feeling that Dr Norrington is Yog-Soggoth.
    I was right.
    And two.
    The Team Fortress 2 reference was funny.

Add Comment