User Avatar Image

Bugs in boxes ad infinitum!

posted by Soultaker on - last edited - Viewed by 379 users

After finishing Puzzle Agent yesterday, I had a hankering for more puzzles, so I hacked together an on-line version of Bugs in Boxes with an infinite puzzle supply: click to play! (Excuse my crude programmer art; it was done in KolourPaint.)

Besides playing, you can edit your own puzzles, or have them generated randomly. Puzzle codes can be used to recreate particular puzzles. For example, these correspond with the three original puzzles from the game:
[list][*]Bugs in Boxes: aiybab0d
[*]More Bugs in Boxes: ixl0ckfc
[*]Super Bugs in Boxes: rcai0xxb[/list]
And these are nice ones too:
[list=1]
[*]ulbaac0x
[*]lj0fllbc
[*]darcrtac
[*]t0crcdlr
[*]facyr0da
[/list]
Find any other good ones? Post the puzzle codes here!

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One nice thing about you all posting these . . . I'm getting pretty good at strategizing them instead of just blind guessing! So if there's another Puzzle Agent episode, and there are more bug puzzles, I'll be all ready!

(I know, in reality, they'll change the rules!)

• Nice! Cool idea, I like it :D

• Excellent job, Soultaker! This is a great idea and really well done.

jccjjccj

:)

I found jl0bfcsf a little harder, though.

• @Klatuu said: Excellent job, Soultaker! This is a great idea and really well done.
    jccjjccj

Thanks! If you like jccjjcjj, I expect you'll like bffrbffr too. :P

I found jl0bfcsf a little harder, though.
    That's a nice one! I got tricked into submitting a suboptimal solution...

• This is pretty fun.
    In a reflex, I started dragging instead of clicking to make lines appear. :P

Some suggestions if you're still going to work on it:
    - Higher res version? This looks small even on my lappy's rather modest 1366x768 resolution.
    - There should be a big "submit answer" button which automatically generates a new level for you if it's correct.
    - A high score to proudly post here? Like +10 points for every puzzle solved, -5 for every wrong answer.
    - The randomizer doesn't get rid of your inputted lines.
    - Being able to set a grid size for a bigger challenge? If you're going to have a scoreboard, the score could be relative to the grid size.
    - Maybe some sound effects! The tag is perfect for this.

• Thanks for the suggestions, DaVince! Although I don't think I'll follow most of them...
    [quote]- Higher res version? This looks small even on my lappy's rather modest 1366x768 resolution.
    - Maybe some sound effects! The tag is perfect for this. [/quote]
    Although I'm sure the game could be bigger and better, I'm not really an artist, so I'd rather not try to create high resolution graphics and fancy sound effects... the end result would probably disappoint you anyway. If you feel the game is too small to play, you can use your browser's zoom function (Ctrl-+ usually) to make it bigger, but it'll be just as ugly. :)
    [quote]- There should be a big "submit answer" button which automatically generates a new level for you if it's correct.[/quote]
    That's what the Verify Solution button is for, although I guess it could be a bit more dramatic. The reason it doesn't auto-generate a new puzzle, is to give the player an opportunity to edit the puzzle or save the puzzle code.
    [quote]- A high score to proudly post here? Like +10 points for every puzzle solved, -5 for every wrong answer.
    - Being able to set a grid size for a bigger challenge? If you're going to have a scoreboard, the score could be relative to the grid size.[/quote]
    I'm not sure this type of puzzle works well in a competitive setting. I think you'd have to take timing into account, in the very least. Implementing a scoreboard sounds like a lot of work. I'll give it some thought, but I'm not promising anything. :)

[quote]- The randomizer doesn't get rid of your inputted lines.[/quote]
    Good catch! I've fixed this.

• could this thread be stickied? I dunno about other people but it's pretty much the only thread I come back to this board for.

• User Avatar Image
    olz

is that's for how many bugs in puzle agent? ;)

• Oooh this is awesome, thank you :)

Add Comment