User Avatar Image

Telltale, LucasArts, and human resources.

posted by Griswald Goodsoup on - last edited - Viewed by 205 users

I was thinking about this the other day, and while discussed extensively I thought "why not?". So here goes.

How is it that LucasArts seem able to pull anyone at anytime to see to their every whim, especially with LeChuck's Revenge just released and all the voice-actors/actresses appear to be in it, e.g. Wally, Stan, LeChuck.

Why I say this is the obvious mountains TTG had to climb to get Earl Boen out of retirement, and LucasArts just muster him without a hint of defiance. (though this may have something to with hime already being pulled out of retirement, his commitment to the fans, LucasArts would never reveal any hiccups with development).

And I can't remember for what reason, but TTG couldn't get the guy that played Stan from Curse, but for both SE's LucasArts was able to. What's with that?

And while I have the ball rolling, the Voodoo Lady, is her voice different in LeChuck's Revenge SE?

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Griswald Goodsoup said: I was thinking about this the other day, and while discussed extensively I thought "why not?". So here goes.

    How is it that LucasArts seem able to pull anyone at anytime to see to their every whim, especially with LeChuck's Revenge just released and all the voice-actors/actresses appear to be in it, e.g. Wally, Stan, LeChuck.

    Why I say this is the obvious mountains TTG had to climb to get Earl Boen out of retirement, and LucasArts just muster him without a hint of defiance. (though this may have something to with hime already being pulled out of retirement, his commitment to the fans, LucasArts would never reveal any hiccups with development).

    And I can't remember for what reason, but TTG couldn't get the guy that played Stan from Curse, but for both SE's LucasArts was able to. What's with that?

    And while I have the ball rolling, the Voodoo Lady, is her voice different in LeChuck's Revenge SE?



    The reason is probably money. LA has more money to throw at their games than TTG does. Plus, as the remakes weren't new games as such, the money that would have gone on level design etc could went on graphics and sound (Voices included). Earl Boen is a pretty famous actor, and that, aswell as the fact he is retired would probably place him as one of the pricier voices, and TTG just couldn't afford him at first.

  • And while I have the ball rolling, the Voodoo Lady, is her voice different in LeChuck's Revenge SE?



    It's not. The line SoMI-Curse has the same main character voices.

    But I totally dig ToMI's Voodoo Lady and Stan more than the LA SE versions, so, in a sense, I'm kinda glad TTG didn't have enough money for other actors :p

  • @Farlander said: It's not. The line SoMI-Curse has the same main character voices.

    But I totally dig ToMI's Voodoo Lady and Stan more than the LA SE versions, so, in a sense, I'm kinda glad TTG didn't have enough money for other actors :p



    Yeah. This is going slightly off-topic now, but the voice of the voodoo lady in MI2 SE combined with her model in that game totally dissapointed me.

  • My favorite is how they cast S. Scott Bullock (Lemonhead/Otis in CMI) as Red Skull in MI:SE inexplicably, and his Otis voice was slightly off as well.

    Also, that their voice director apparently forgot to let Neil Ross hear what voice he used in CMI, since in MI2:SE he sounds nothing like the performance he delivered for Wally in CMI.

  • @SHODANFreeman said: My favorite is how they cast S. Scott Bullock (Lemonhead/Otis in CMI) as Red Skull in MI:SE inexplicably, and his Otis voice was slightly off as well.

    Also, that their voice director apparently forgot to let Neil Ross hear what voice he used in CMI, since in MI2:SE he sounds nothing like the performance he delivered for Wally in CMI.



    Wait.... That was the same guy? And here I was thinking, "Well, it seems LA got a decent replacement for Wally. Sounds a lil like... enough to make you not hate it, but that's DEF not the guy from CMI..."

    And you're telling me that it is? That's... that's BAD voice acting (even though he sounds OK). Any HUMAN voice actor would review his work before reprising a role.

  • @Dionysus said: Wait.... That was the same guy? And here I was thinking, "Well, it seems LA got a decent replacement for Wally. Sounds a lil like... enough to make you not hate it, but that's DEF not the guy from CMI..."

    And you're telling me that it is? That's... that's BAD voice acting (even though he sounds OK). Any HUMAN voice actor would review his work before reprising a role.



    Well, his original work was, what, ten years ago? He might not even be capable of doing the exact voice anymore, due to age.

    Personally, i thought it was quite good.

  • Yeah, I mean Neil Ross is about 65 years old right now, and his website shows that he is an incredibly versitile voice actor.

    Speaking of which, the guy that voiced Bernard in DoTT is about 65 atm too, if we ever see a DoTT comeback, I wonder if he'll still be capable of doing the voice/doing it well.

  • @Friar said: Well, his original work was, what, ten years ago? He might not even be capable of doing the exact voice anymore, due to age.



    @Friar said: Yeah, I mean Neil Ross is about 65 years old right now, and his website shows that he is an incredibly versitile voice actor.

    I'd rather they had just recast the role instead of bringing on the same voice actor to do a totally different voice. Seems pointless to bring him in if they don't even give a crap what voice he uses.

Add Comment