User Avatar Image

Telltale, LucasArts, and human resources.

posted by Griswald Goodsoup on - last edited - Viewed by 219 users

I was thinking about this the other day, and while discussed extensively I thought "why not?". So here goes.

How is it that LucasArts seem able to pull anyone at anytime to see to their every whim, especially with LeChuck's Revenge just released and all the voice-actors/actresses appear to be in it, e.g. Wally, Stan, LeChuck.

Why I say this is the obvious mountains TTG had to climb to get Earl Boen out of retirement, and LucasArts just muster him without a hint of defiance. (though this may have something to with hime already being pulled out of retirement, his commitment to the fans, LucasArts would never reveal any hiccups with development).

And I can't remember for what reason, but TTG couldn't get the guy that played Stan from Curse, but for both SE's LucasArts was able to. What's with that?

And while I have the ball rolling, the Voodoo Lady, is her voice different in LeChuck's Revenge SE?

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm so glad Telltale couldn't or didn't get an earlier voice for Stan. Tales was the first time he sounded like Stan.

• Indeed. I didn't enjoy CMI/SMI:SE/LR:SE's slimy smooth-talking salesman Stan. I rather pictured him as a super fast-talking TV salesman/announcer. I actually always pictured Jim Carry as his voice seeing as his original sprite seemed to resemble him quite a bit.

• I agree. Also, the new voice makes him more likeable, instead of so damn annoying.

• @Trenchfoot said: I agree. Also, the new voice makes him more likeable, instead of so damn annoying.

I like the new voice (but prefer the original voice), but Stan is supposed to sound annoying.

• I also like the Escape version of Stan. I do like ToMI one more though.

And one can be annoying in different ways. SMI-LR-CMI representation of annyoing is not exactly what I had in mind, though I DO admit that when we, in LR, nail Stan in the coffin, Pinney puts up an AWESOME performance that I actually didn't want to leave the room to hear him. Sadly, that doesn't apply to his normally recorded lines.

• @Trenchfoot said: I agree. Also, the new voice makes him more likeable, instead of so damn annoying.

I think I may be lost, also because I do not have the English version of EMI anymore: How many different Stan voice actors are there in total?

The voice in MI1 & MI2 SE are one and the same, right?
    CMI, featuring the very first Monkey Island speechie, had what the majority of the fans claimed to be a bad voice for Stan so as far as I know, EMI got another one...which is...the same as the TOMI one? :confused:

• No-no-no.
    SMI, LR and CMI have Pat Pinney.
    EMI has Pat Fraley (the one I, personally, like more than SMI-CMI one)
    ToMI has G. Hammon (the one I, personally, like the most).
    So, three Stan actors in total.

• @Farlander said: No-no-no.
    SMI, LR and CMI have Pat Pinney.
    EMI has Pat Fraley (the one I, personally, like more than SMI-CMI one)
    ToMI has G. Hammon (the one I, personally, like the most).
    So, three Stan actors in total.

Ah, thanks. For a moment I thought there might have been four different VA, but that would have been an all time record.

• @SHODANFreeman said: My favorite is how they cast S. Scott Bullock (Lemonhead/Otis in CMI) as Red Skull in MI:SE inexplicably, and his Otis voice was slightly off as well.

Also, that their voice director apparently forgot to let Neil Ross hear what voice he used in CMI, since in MI2:SE he sounds nothing like the performance he delivered for Wally in CMI.

Funny you mentione S.Scott Bullock, because didn't he voice lemonhead in Curse? But in the SE he voiced Red Skull.

• They probably wanted to give him more of a leading role given his familiarity with those that played curse, also given that lemonhead only has about 2 lines in SMI:SE.

Add Comment