User Avatar Image

Custom Monkey Island Icons

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

If you've visited the 'The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt' thread recently, you may have realized that some of us have been flooding the last couple of pages with some custom MI icons ever since The Highway provided us with a template in the his file of his own custom icons (available here). Anyway, instead of cluttering the 'The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt' thread with custom icons (which aren't technically art), I decided to create a thread specifically for them. So, feel free to post any icons here that you make/have made yourself.

Here are some of mine:

guybrushbanjoicon.pngcoronadodecava.pngmorganleflay.jpgguni.png

Some of The Highway's:

81d02234390ffce168f6ac524e8cd4f54g.jpgcdcd3907800f4eb395879cb1a93b064e4g.jpgb3521d51274aa2f4b644d5832cb2b6ee4g.jpg8d6f67491f47b0de3fa7c3fb3b5f23594g.jpg72423379f815ead3c52cae603e6b61444g.jpg

Some of Spadge's (one being a joke) :

attachment.php?attachmentid=1669&stc=1&dattachment.php?attachmentid=1674&stc=1&d

70 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @prizna said: I think it may be caused from when I remove the white background.

that never happens to me

• @The Highway said: that never happens to me

Well I have no idea then, I just take it into photoshop, add whatever I want in the icon to the layer below the flag icon, I then remove the white with the magic wand.

• @prizna said: Well I have no idea then, I just take it into photoshop, add whatever I want in the icon to the layer below the flag icon, I then remove the white with the magic wand.

hmmmm... that's exactly what i do...

• As I haven't used Photoshop in ages I don't remember where or how, but I do know that the Magic Wand has a Feather option somewhere, and that it's used to soften up the jagged edges that it normally makes if there is no Feather on.

• I've discovered something interesting, frustrating and disturbing.

The original versions of SoMI were made in a 640x400 resolution. Not 640x480.

What this means is that the "Aspect Ratio Correction" option in ScummVM, when checked, stretches the image to fit a 480 pixel high resolution, but that also means that the images ingame are 20% taller than originally designed. I have confirmed this by also running EGA SoMI in DOSBox without specifying any resolution settings.

hpim0739h.jpghpim0740.jpg
    ScummVM: SoMI EGA without ratio correction ------ ScummVM: SoMI EGA with ratio correction

It also means that SoMI:SE's Classic Mode also stretches the original image to fit the screen. It just goes about it a bit differently than ScummVM does (similar to how it affects images differently in Photoshop when you resize using a different resample method.)

image11jw.pngimage12xr.png

ScummVM: SoMI VGA without ratio correction ------- SoMI:SE Classic Mode

It also means... *sigh*... that I'm going to have to redo my sprite icons on here.

Indicentally, the VGA sprite icon I made came from SE classic mode.

• @Chyron8472 said: I've discovered something interesting, frustrating and disturbing.

The original versions of SoMI were made in a 640x400 resolution. Not 640x480.

What this means is that the "Aspect Ratio Correction" option in ScummVM, when checked, stretches the image to fit a 480 pixel high resolution, but that also means that the images ingame are 20% taller than originally designed. I have confirmed this by also running EGA SoMI in DOSBox without specifying any resolution settings.

hpim0739h.jpghpim0740.jpg

It also means that SoMI:SE's Classic Mode also stretches the original image to fit the screen. It just goes about it a bit differently than ScummVM does (similar to how it affects images differently in Photoshop when you resize using a different resample method.)

hpim0741.jpg

It also means... *sigh*... that I'm going to have to redo my sprite icons on here.

Indicentally, the VGA sprite icon I made came from SE classic mode.

I actually think a stretched guybrush looks better, taller, you know?

• @The Highway said: I actually think a stretched guybrush looks better, taller, you know?

Well, decide here:

vgaguybrush.pnggbvga.png
    Stretched (in SE) ------------------------------ Original Ratio

and here:

egaguybrush.pnggbega.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM) ---------------------- Original Ratio
    (not cleaned up)

Remember how I said before that I had to clean up that image a bit? This is why.

EDIT: Apparently this also applies to LeChuck's Revenge (it was developed in 640x400 res.)

So, while you're at it, decide here:

lcr2.pnglcr1a.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM) ------------------------ Original Ratio

and here:
    lcr2a.pnglcr1.png

• I was wondering why some of the pixels looked a little off. It looks like they did a good job of correcting for it in the SE, but all the other sprites were noticeably a bit off. I'll take the original ratio. Thanks for updating them.

• @Chyron8472 said: Well, decide here:

vgaguybrush.pnggbvga.png
    Stretched (in SE) ------------------------------ Original Ratio

and here:

egaguybrush.pnggbega.png
    Stretched (in ScummVM) ---------------------- Original Ratio
    (not cleaned up)

Remember how I said before that I had to clean up that image a bit? This is why.

EDIT: Apparently this also applies to LeChuck's Revenge (it was developed in 640x400 res.)

So, while you're at it, decide here:

lcr2.pnglcr1a.png

and here:
    lcr2a.pnglcr1.png

I'd say the SoMI ones look better stretched, while the MI2 ones look better in the original ratio.

• The only reason it looks bad stretched is from the anti-aliasing from ScummVM. If the screenshot was taken from a higher resolution, the in-between lines would either be smaller, or in some cases non-existant, which makes it look alot better.

Add Comment