Menu
User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 5: "The City That Dares Not Sleep"

posted by Jake Telltale Alumni on - last edited - Viewed by 9.2K users

Whoa is it time for one of these already? Probably not, but here it is anyway.

So yeah, July's pretty close to done so it's time for the Final Count..down... thread. Hm. I didn't expect to go there at all. My apologies.

I'm Jake, and as many of you guys know from elsewhere on the forums, I wear quite a few hats around the TTG offices. The last few months, I have been fortunate enough to wear the hat of "director" for the final chapter of The Devil's Playhouse, "The City That Dares Not Sleep.".

I'll be hanging around this thread for between now and release, answering questions and dropping amazingly obscure, indecipherable, impenetrable, mind-rending hints about the final episode. Which you guys will surely figure out within like ten minutes, causing me to freak out thinking I've unwittingly spoiled the season finale for you. Fortunately, you'll then inevitably second guess yourselves and get it all horribly wrong a few days after that.

The episode was written and designed by Chuck Jordan (writer/designer/director of The Penal Zone, and lord overseer of the whole season), who is enjoying his new exotic life outside the office (which means he's probably at home on his couch playing Limbo on XBLA), but hopefully he can be coaxed into stopping by as well to help field things, too.

So yeah, the questions, the speculating: Fire away!

Uhhh, uhhh, bullet points.... Stemmle had all those cool bullet points. Dammit. Bullets.

I am less prepared than Mike "Master of the Countdown Thread" Stemmle, if you didn't notice. My bullet points, however, far outclass those of any prior thread. Feast:

[LIST]
[*]It's the last episode of the season.
[*]It features some very nice decorative clocks and lamps which I think you'll enjoy.
[/LIST]

What more do you need to know?

594 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd like optional subtitles too. There is no way I'd understand a song in English the first time around without subtitles. Or, as is usually the case, the tenth, twentieth or hundredth time around.

If the song isn't "important" I guess you don't need subtitles, but they're nice. It was nice being able to follow the song in 204 for once.

I do dislike subtitles when watching stuff in French because I know I WILL read them and compare (whether they're in French or English) and it distracts me a bit, so I get why native speakers wouldn't want them.

• @Avistew said: I do dislike subtitles when watching stuff in French because I know I WILL read them and compare (whether they're in French or English) and it distracts me a bit, so I get why native speakers wouldn't want them.

I'm starting to do that when I see something in English with Spanish Subtitles. Sometimes. But sometimes I wonder what's the difference with "Distract me a bit" with "Understand nothing". Appart, like Falanca said, those subtitles are optional already =P.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if they will have anytime to put the subtitles if there's a song which need it. If there's no time, I hope you can put the lyrics in the forum after a day or something. It's not ideal, but if you can't ^^U

• @Falanca said: Aren't subtitles already optional? Actually, they're off by default everytime I run a new episode, so I fiddle with options and enable them whenever necessary.

Yeah, that's my point.

• I've always prefered subtitles as I find it very easy to misunderstand things. For example, my dad once asked me what I wanted for lunch. This confused me and I asked him why he was going to give me a magnet. (My brother hasn't let me live that down yet). My point is that I need the subtitles to help me clarify what's going on for when a character says something too fast for me to follow and stuff like that. Following both the picture and the subtitles have never been a problem for me, although I do sometimes get distracted by wrong spelling or the American way of spelling!

• I used to work at a cash register. On like my first day a guy asked if he could have a bag, and I thought he was asking if I wanted to have sex with him. True story.

• @Avistew said: I used to work at a cash register. On like my first day a guy asked if he could have a bag, and I thought he was asking if I wanted to have sex with him. True story.

And your response...?

• @The Highway said: And your response...?

I looked at him, confused and surprised, and after an awkward silence he repeated his question, which made me realise I heard it wrong the first time.
    He probably thought I was a complete moron :P

• It would be even better if you'd said "Yes please!"

Because, in context...
    "Can I have a bag?"
    "Yes, please!"

• I never quite lived it down when I had my supermarket Saturday job I had as a teen the first time a girl asked for some 'Shag', which turned out to be a brand of rolling tobacco we sold.

• More on topic, it seems all the major questions have been asked. (Like is Sal alive?)

But I have question anyway. Are we going to see more of this smile from Sam in 305. I hope so. It's beyond cute, and I want to see more of it.

2qkusgk.jpg

I just loved how his face lit up after someone knelt or saluted Lord Sammun-Mak!

Add Comment