82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I love star wars as much as the next sad, lonely bastard but I really don't see the big deal..?

• @Fealiks said: I love star wars as much as the next sad, lonely bastard but I really don't see the big deal..?

It's a deleted scene, so it's kind of neat.

The bigger issue, and the one that means I'm still stuck only owning non-anamorphic Laserdisc rips on DVD, is that Lucas has decided that

Look, Lucas, you can use the Star Wars films as your own personal coloring book. I notice you really like your crayons and you think what you have is really cool. But don't go and lie and say restoring the original, theatrical cut is "too expensive". Even if you didn't have to restore the original materials to get your new 1080p transfer, NOTHING IS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR GEORGE LUCAS. Wizard of Oz got an 8k scan and a new restoration even though the film already had an HD-ready 4k scan from the over-the-top DVD restoration. It's not too expensive.

If George wants to release his special editions, that's okay. He can even go so far as to continue the injustice of keeping the originals on Special Edition discs as an extra. I just want to watch the films that made me love movies in the first place.

• http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/star-wars-films-coming-to-blu-ray-next-year/?scp=1&sq=star%20wars&st=cse
    New York Times Article.

Exactly Rather Dashing - I can't believe anything would be too expensive for George Lucas. I also like this quote:

"That,[the future release date] he said, was partly due to continuing work on the additional Blu-ray features, and partly to factors beyond his control."
    What the hell would be beyond George Lucas' control?
    Oh and yes. Hate me, but this box set will be what pushes me into Blu Ray. I'll buy it - day one.

• Damnit, I only just got the DVD boxsets at the end of last year. I wonder how many more years worth of 'extra material' Lucas has got to play with in order to keep putting out boxsets and new versions.

I'll consider buying it if there's a cut of the film with the extra material in it, rather than just separate little bits on their own.

• I still think that this scene being a deleted one was the result of good thinking. It's really not very good. It's just Luke silently jamming a sonic screwdriver into a lightsaber hilt while wearing a dark, gloomy hood. I understand the novelty of it being a deleted scene, but that doesn't give it that much more awesomeness imho. Some of the Episode IV deleted scenes I've seen on Youtube were pretty cool, but again, very weird. The film wouldn't have been as good if they were in it, in my opinion. Maybe that's just because I'm used to it how it is, though? I'm not sure.

• Oh FFS. They are never going to release a proper, perfectly preserved version of the original films. They're going to keep releasing ever-so-slightly better versions of the same ones over and over, and we're going to keep paying money for them.

There are fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do. The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here. I gather he's doing the same for Episode V (yay). These are the films you're looking for. Move along, move along.

• @jp-30 said: Essential reading (Gary Kurtz interview);

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/08/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer.html

Amazing read. Really makes sense - I really wish Return of the Jedi would have ended that way. It really would have paved a great road for the extended universe.

• @Darth Marsden said: There are fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do. The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here.

Thanks for this. I mean really. Wow. I'm happy now. :)

• @Darth Marsden said: There are fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do.

I doubt it. Any fan-edit has to deal with LucasArts-released material, while LucasArts themselves have separation masters and other closer to direct film material to perform an 8K scan. It's impossible for a fan release to rival the originals without an original film source or a copy that is extremely close to the Master if not the Master itself(which Lucas says was physically recut and edited for the 1997 Special Edition).

The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here. I gather he's doing the same for Episode V (yay). These are the films you're looking for. Move along, move along.

No, that's not the film I'm looking for. Notice that list, the one that shows all the changes? I don't want the vast majority of those. I just want the movie that was projected on theater screens in 1977. Something coming as close to approximating the image quality of the original celluloid as is possible in modern-day mass-market home releases would be nice.

Add Comment