User Avatar Image

No More External LucasArts Development?

posted by TheMadSpin on - last edited - Viewed by 476 users

So, stop me if you've heard this one, but GameInformer.com had this little bidness on their page:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/08/17/the-force-unleashed-3-already-canceled.aspx

Which includes this nugget:

"If things are looking bad for internal development at LucasArts, it's nothing compared to external development; Meegan is also allegedly putting a stop to external studios working on LucasArts' properties. This would mean that after BioWare's MMO The Old Republic, we wouldn't see any more KOTOR titles, nor additional LEGO games made by Traveller's Tales."

If this is true, does this mean we won't be seeing any more Tales of Monkey Island games? I hope that the close relationship between these two houses means that TellTaleGames and Monkey Island are safe from this particular lock down (if it's even true), but I have to admit that I'm a little worried.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh god, what's up with the menu after the video's done playing?

• Well, this isn't good news. If Telltale would get the rights to Monkey Island, we would see ToMI, but no more SEs (but I can't think of there being SE's for Curse and Escape).

Lucasarts is running out of good games and this is no help, that's for sure.

• Every new president does a clean sweep. Even the beloved D-Rod did it.

Let's wait & see before we all hurl ourselves off cliffs, eh?

(and as I've posted elsewhere...)

He's apparently stopping external development AND firing internal teams / halting internal development?

That makes no sense, unless the rumour is missing some vital information.

> the majority of "external" development...

The "majority" does not mean "all", so if this is true there's still a chance ToMI or more LEGO games are possible.

As for LEGO, what else is there left to do? 2x Indiana Jones, 1 prequel, one OT, one Clone Wars. Pretty sure LEGO / Traveller's Tales will move onto LEGO's Disney licences next (Toy Story, Pirates of the Carribean, other Pixar, etc).

Plus the LEGO licence with Lucasfilm expires in 2011 (though it could get extended, of course).

• @BoneFreak said: Well, this isn't good news. If Telltale would get the rights to Monkey Island, we would see ToMI, but no more SEs (but I can't think of there being SE's for Curse and Escape).

Lucasarts is running out of good games and this is no help, that's for sure.

I'd like an SE for all to be honest.

• @jp-30 said:
    LEGO's Disney licences next (Toy Story, Pirates of the Carribean, other Pixar, etc).

Pirates of the Carribean?

And why was I not informed of this?

• It's not announced yet, and may not eventuate, but a sweet Jack Sparrow minifig prototype was snuck into an official Prince of Persia LEGO display at Comic Con.

More here;

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204882

4819476713_7e032d28f5.jpg

• I thought MegaBlocks made Pirates of the Carribean sets, maybe we'll see a new set of MegaBlocks games that way it'll be cheaper for Lucasarts. (:

• I doubt LEGO are gonna miss the opportunity to make video games based on Disney's franchises, then. Good snoopin', jp.

• Also, I'm going to say it. The reason for the lack of info could be the sources. I mean, GI and Kotaku aren't known to be the most reliable sources, to me. Like, remember when they announced GTAIV would be on the Xbox[original] under the name GTA: Sin City! But, before San Andrese came out they had undeniable proof that the new GTA (which was SA at the time) would be named Sin City and that it was to be Xbox only. I remember this because my friend brought me both those magazines as proof of how amazing GI was in getting gaming news. And I just laughed.
    And yes they used the same name twice and I was the only one of my friends to catch that.

Add Comment