82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Maybe a 8 MM projector. Sorry, just a thought...?? Though I imagine it wouldn't be too good.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Rather Dashing said: No, that's not the film I'm looking for. Notice that list, the one that shows all the changes? I don't want the vast majority of those. I just want the movie that was projected on theater screens in 1977. Something coming as close to approximating the image quality of the original celluloid as is possible in modern-day mass-market home releases would be nice.

Well, it's a shame that's what you're after, since the best you'll probably get is an incredibly low-quality copy that's been transferred from the original VHS release. Fan edits may not be exactly what you want, but they're probably the closest you'll ever get.

This particular edit manages to fix most of the changes made by Lucas for the re-releases, while still leaving in the ones that don't out and out distract the viewer. I was watching it the other day (it comes with an optional text commentary pointing out the changes made - my favourite moment was when it displayed HAN SHOOTS FIRST! in massive letters) and it really does improve the film no end.

• @Rather Dashing said: No, that's not the film I'm looking for. Notice that list, the one that shows all the changes? I don't want the vast majority of those. I just want the movie that was projected on theater screens in 1977. Something coming as close to approximating the image quality of the original celluloid as is possible in modern-day mass-market home releases would be nice.

What's wrong with watching the "original theatrical version" that comes on Disc 2 of the Limited Edition DVD? It's taken from the Laserdisc version, but it works just as well. It doesn't even say "Episode IV" in the crawl.

oh, by the way Darth Marsden:

@Rather Dashing said: There are fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do. The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here. I gather he's doing the same for Episode V (yay). These are the films you're looking for. Move along, move along.

I watched this yesterday, and after having seen it, I will never ever watch Special Edition again if I can help it. This is awesome.

• @Darth Marsden said: Well, it's a shame that's what you're after, since the best you'll probably get is an incredibly low-quality copy that's been transferred from the original VHS release. Fan edits may not be exactly what you want, but they're probably the closest you'll ever get.

This particular edit manages to fix most of the changes made by Lucas for the re-releases, while still leaving in the ones that don't out and out distract the viewer. I was watching it the other day (it comes with an optional text commentary pointing out the changes made - my favourite moment was when it displayed HAN SHOOTS FIRST! in massive letters) and it really does improve the film no end.

Where did you get a copy you could watch?

• @Chyron8472 said: What's wrong with watching the "original theatrical version" that comes on Disc 2 of the Limited Edition DVD? It's taken from the Laserdisc version, but it works just as well. It doesn't even say "Episode IV" in the crawl.

The quality is absolutely horrid that's why. There's a lot of weird artifacting and aliasing going on, not to mention it's not even anamorphic.

I agree with Marsden, if you have to watch a special edition version of the film then it should be Revisited. Though nothing will ever replace the original unaltered trilogy.

• @tobar said: The quality is absolutely horrid that's why. There's a lot of weird artifacting and aliasing going on, not to mention it's not even anamorphic.

It's more than sufficient for my tastes. Maybe I'm just a moron.

• @Chyron8472 said: [QUOTE=Chyron8472;362816][QUOTE=Darth Marsden;362541]There are [Star Wars] fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do. The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here.

Thanks for this. I mean really. Wow. I'm happy now. :)[/QUOTE]

Because of this awesomeness, I have a new wallpaper now: The destruction of Alderaan from this fan edit of A New Hope. It looks and sounds WAY better than the official SE version.

(note: if the wallpaper looks grainy, it's because it was taken from the AVI version, instead of the DVD quality version.)

alderaan.png[/QUOTE]

Yay!

• B... but it was a peaceful planet. They had no weapons!

• Yes, and it's quite sad. :(

But the explosion was still awesome.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@doodo! said: Where did you get a copy you could watch?

Linky. Look for STAR WARS: EP IV 2004 Special Edition REVISITED by Adywan, then check out all the links to the right. Seriously, there's loads of versions, so just grab the one that suits you. DVD's obviously higher quality, but avi is smaller. It's your call. You'll need JDownloader to download the actual things, but it a free program, so there you go. Incidentally, RS is Rapidshare, MU is MegaUpload and BT is BitTorrent. Just so you know. While you're there, feel free to check out the other fan-edits. Some are actually really good.

That is one awesome explosion. Also, see the Death Star one. Equally epic. Glad I've got you interested in Star Wars again! :p

And, incidentally, Dantooine was too remote a planet to make any sort of impact. But don't worry, we'll deal with your Rebel friends soon enough.

Add Comment