User Avatar Image

Most Hated Grammatical/Spelling Errors

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Here's a thread for the grammar Nazis to vent. Do you see any spelling or grammatical errors that really get up your nose? Here are some of my pet hates:

'Your dumb'
'Definately'
'I should of'

I have many more, but I'll leave them for the rest of you guys.

281 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • When I was taught English, I remember very well how the British English/American English distinction was explained: the British spelling is closest to French (from where the words came) and the American spelling is closer to the pronunciation, because it was changed for that specific reason.

Here in Canada, it's a big mix-and-match. You say "centre" and "colour" but "-ize", for instance.

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@Avistew said: Well, let me try and break it down: (...)

Thanks for that, that's quite interesting. I'm sure French spelling/pronunciation is logical and consistent within its own set of conventions and rules, but as someone who's not familiar with those rules I have no clue how to pronounce a new word. I would probably try to pronounce all the letters of 'Jacques' if it was the first time I saw it.

Seeing as I live in Europe I really ought to learn that kind of stuff. Hm.

@Avistew said: the British spelling is closest to French (from where the words came) and the American spelling is closer to the pronunciation, because it was changed for that specific reason.

That's what I was taught as well. I think the American spelling of words like color and center is more logical, but the British spelling often looks nicer on paper somehow.

• I just thought of a new one - when people say "hence why" instead of just "hence"

• I almost screamed when my friend today said 'more quicker'.

Also, I hate the way people spell in text messages. I understand that they're just trying to save room on the small space available, but what I don't understand is what they're talking about.

2 me it lks lk all the vwls hv bn tkn out, wich mns the msg mks no snse.

If someone else had written that instead of me, I would be spending hours trying to decipher it, like I do with almost all text messages I recieve from friends. Whereas I always go over the size limit on the text because I'm using proper English, even though it costs more.

• @DPB said: "I could care less."

Well to be fair, usually when people say they couldn't care less they really could.

@DPB said: I just thought of a new one - when people say "hence why" instead of just "hence"

Similar: "from whence" (or a lot less commonly: "from thence").

Another one: "til" instead of "till".

• @Hayden said: Anyway, here is some more topic-related linkage.

Beat me to it. That's one of my favorites.

• People misuse grammar alot of the time

>.>

• @DPB said: "I could care less." You could? Thanks for letting me know!

David Mitchell makes a nice rant about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

I want an inflatable-hover-fort now :-(

• @DPB said: "I could care less." You could? Thanks for letting me know!

Obligatory Sam & Max quotes:

From "Sam and Max 102: Situation: Comedy"

Sam: You and Myra. Why the hate?
    Director: Look, Myra runs her show her way and I run every other show my way. If she doesn't want me on her set, I could care less.
    Sam: You mean, you couldn't care less. If you could care less then you care some, which doesn't really...
    Director: No, I was right, I could care less, because I care even less about what you're saying right now.
    Max: Ooh, burn!

• @Hayden said:
    'I should of'

This is definitely the main one, I get really worked up when I see it.

I also hate it when people say things like; "I'm listening to I'm Only Sleeping off of Revolver."

Add Comment