User Avatar Image

Most Hated Grammatical/Spelling Errors

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

Here's a thread for the grammar Nazis to vent. Do you see any spelling or grammatical errors that really get up your nose? Here are some of my pet hates:

'Your dumb'
'Definately'
'I should of'

I have many more, but I'll leave them for the rest of you guys.

281 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hayden said: Yeah, pronunciations count. I always hate it when people pronounce 'H' as 'haych' instead of 'aych'. But I'm pretty sure both are acceptable.

Extra Note: Also, another of my most hated grammatical errors is when people write 'to' when it should be 'too'. Is it really so hard to write/type an extra 'o'?

yeah, the pronunciation of H shits me. We were actually told that 'haych' was how you say it properly in primary school, and now in secondary college everyone's doing it, and I cringe every time.

EDIT: also, about the bought/brought thing, some people say 'brang'. What in the name of all that is good and holy?!

• @OzzieMonkey said: Also, about the bought/brought thing, some people say 'brang'. What in the name of all that is good and holy?!

Yes. Agreed. I couldn't agree more.

• Borrowed/lent issues can be mildly irritating.

• Well, sometimes Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay has a LOT of grammar problems on the PC. Examples: the misspellings of "MerLeader" and "bury", putting commas instead of periods, "I have's" instead of "I've got's", etc.

• @OzzieMonkey said: EDIT: also, about the bought/brought thing, some people say 'brang'. What in the name of all that is good and holy?!

Oh, gosh, yes! That annoys the hell out of me. I hear it so often as well. My own father says it all the time, I hear other relatives say it a lot, about 75% of my friends say it... eh. It kills me.

• Is there a Grammar Nazi party? Do you have Grammar Rallies in Grammarberg? Who is the Grammar Fuhrer? I vote Avistew because it's the most irritating vote I can make.

• Oh, cool :D People are voting for me! Well... "people" might be a stretch, but I'm not picky. I like being voted for.

However, since we've been talking about orthography and even pronunciation, I suggest we label ourselves Linguistic Nazis instead of Grammar Nazis.

Also, we need a flag now.

• @Debbie82 said: Well, sometimes Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay has a LOT of grammar problems on the PC. Examples: the misspellings of "MerLeader" and "bury", putting commas instead of periods, "I have's" instead of "I've got's", etc.

I don't think you need the apostrophes in haves and gots. Just saying.

• @Avistew said: Also, we need a flag now.

Well, here is the existing Grammar Nazi logo, which can be changed to an 'L' quite easily if needed.

• Mmh, I'm just wondering if it might be offensive, and if we should call ourselves Linguistic Extremists instead. Shortened to LEX. Dura lex, sed lex.

Add Comment