User Avatar Image

Most Hated Grammatical/Spelling Errors

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Here's a thread for the grammar Nazis to vent. Do you see any spelling or grammatical errors that really get up your nose? Here are some of my pet hates:

'Your dumb'
'Definately'
'I should of'

I have many more, but I'll leave them for the rest of you guys.

281 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Avistew said: Mmh, I'm just wondering if it might be offensive, and if we should call ourselves Linguistic Extremists instead. Shortened to LEX. Dura lex, sed lex.

Hah, that's perfect.

@Avistew said: David Mitchell makes a nice rant about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Thank you so much for the linkage! I love David Mitchell, but didn't know about these soapbox rants. I stayed up way too late working my way through them. :)

"I could care less" probably tops my list of linguistic irritations, mostly because it always makes me pause and try to figure out if they actually meant that or if they just got it wrong.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned effect/affect yet. A lot of people don't even seem to realise that those words have different meanings, and so just use them interchangeably.

In general I'm quite forgiving of mispronunciations. You can't be too hard on someone for not knowing how to pronounce a word they've only ever seen written down. The English rules can be a bit crazy, and then you've got words that have been appropriated from other languages and so have different rules altogether. It would be sad if people used fewer cool words in conversation just because they were scared of doing it wrong.

• @Avistew said: Also, we need a flag now.

@Avistew said: Mmh, I'm just wondering if it might be offensive, and if we should call ourselves Linguistic Extremists instead. Shortened to LEX. Dura lex, sed lex.

How about this:

lexlogo.png

The dull colours represent how dull we are.

• Along the same lines as 'I could care less'. Double negatives in general are quite annoying. Things like 'I didn't never say that!' is not only bad grammer, but as Puzzlebox mentioned previously, it always takes a moment to get your head around what has been said.

• Oh, yeah, double negatives are always hard for me because I start by thinking the person meant it "I didn't never say that" = "I did say that" but sometimes it's not the case. Actually, at first it was always the case because the only people I talked to were other students, so double negatives were used for the effect.
    But as I spoke more fluently, I spoke to more and more native speakers, and most of the time these don't do it for the effect. And well, if someone is telling you to do something, or not to do it, it's kinda different. So having to stop and wonder which they meant isn't ideal.

This being said, when I type I commonly forget negations or add them. It's a "finger memory" thing, though, but I assume it would be just as confusing. I try to correct it but sometimes I let one slip by.

• Can we be the Linguistic and Grammar Communists? I don't think commies have quite the same negative connotations as Nazis. Well, at least not outside the US. That little Cold War really demonized the guys who deserve most of the credit for beating Hitler. Also, I just realised the irony in electing a French woman the Grammar Fuhrer.

• @Debbie82 said: Well, sometimes Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay has a LOT of grammar problems on the PC. Examples: the misspellings of "MerLeader" and "bury", putting commas instead of periods, "I have's" instead of "I've got's", etc.

I started at Telltale during the production of Chapter 3, I unfortunately was not able to go back and drop the Grammar Hammer on previous releases.

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet, since I have a signed full color print prominent at my desk, I feel it is my duty to do so.

bobsqu.gif
    ________
    vapourizers

• The worst I think are those made by people who are grammar nazis themselves. All I care about are smug people trying to come over as smart and making spelling errors in the process. I mean I couldn't care less if you made a topic filled with grammar errors, as long as you don't try to seem "intelligent" or something.

Also, I hate posts without white-lines.

• Phew, I snort cocaine before every post I make.

• @GaryCXJk said: Also, I hate posts without white-lines.

White-lines?

• I hate when people misuse "whom." It doesn't bother me too much when people just use "who" for everything -- you could argue that the English language has evolved to the point where the relative pronoun has lost its objective case in everyday speech -- but when someone says something like "the person whom did this," you know that they're just trying to sound smart but utterly failing because they have no actual understanding of the grammar.

Likewise, I also hate when people use "octopi" as the plural for "octopus," as if the word were a second declension Latin noun. It is, in fact, a third declension Greek noun, and so its proper plural form is "octopodes." Of course, we're speaking English here and not Ancient Greek, so you might as well just use the standard, accepted English plural form, which is, you guessed it, "octopuses."

Oh, and I also hate it when people mess up Early Modern English verb conjugations and say things like "thou hath" and "he dost." Ugh.

Add Comment