User Avatar Image

Sam and Max Error when I try to run the games (disc version) - now with patch!

posted by tim1986 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Hello. I purchased the Sam and Max DVD and installed the game. I get this error:
"SamMax101.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

For more information about this error, click here."

When I click "click here." it says:
"Error signature

AppName: sammax101.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sammax101.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 08f0b16

To view technical information about the error report, click here."

When I click "click here" it says:
"The following information about your process will be reported:

........(the error info, I'm not going to write all that)

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\b13f_appcompat.txt"

The contents of that file is:
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
"

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
1.80 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extention
Windows XP Media Center Edition

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The download versions don't use SecuROM, and anyone who bought the Season One DVD from us has access to those already. It's not the best solution if you really wanted to play off the disc, but it is a solution.

I'm afraid I don't know what's causing this error. It could be SecuROM, but there are other game updates that have been made since the downloads were released, and those could be related too. We are going to be getting a new QA guy in soon who should be able to help troubleshoot this sort of problem, but in the meantime my suggestion is to use the download versions instead of the DVD if the downloads are working for you.

• Where do I go to get the Full download versions?

• The download versions appear to be working - I've now beaten episode one! So, unless you did something very creative between the DVD and the download, I'm content to lay this at the feet of SecuRom - I know I've had a problem with them once before. (I had to delete and reinstall some driver I didn't even know I had.)

By the way, Kudos to the music guy. The games great, but the music really is way, way above the bar.

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

@square721bt said: By the way, Kudos to the music guy. The games great, but the music really is way, way above the bar.

Jared is indeed awesome! The stuff he's writing for season two is possibly cooler than the season one stuff! If you're interested, there are many MP3s from the season one episodes available to download from the Sam & Max page, and there's also the full soundtrack CD set which I cannot plug often enough around here.

• I'm pretty sure this is a common error encountered but I can't seem to find the solution through a forum search so I'll ask it again to keep you regulars on your toes.

I've got the Season 1 DVD and the games have installed just fine. However, when I try to play any of them it just gives me the standard "SamMax101.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" Windows message with the option of sending off an error report to Microsoft. Is there some step of verification I'm missing here?

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

The person who started this thread had the same problem as you. They're still trying to pin down what's causing it. I think you'll want to email support@telltalegames.com as well so the error will be in their database and the support team will definitely see it.

• Please tell us your system specs so we can see if you have something in common with the other person experiencing this problem.

• Hey, sorry for making another thread and in the wrong place. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough on the forum list, heh.

I've got XP Service Pack 2, a Pentium 4 2.27GHz Processor with 512Mb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 video card. An old HP Pavilion. Damn I need a new computer. Now that I've seen this thread I'll go ahead and download the games. Thanks for the help.

• Let us know how it goes with the downloads.

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

Trying to figure when exactly the crash occurs, do you at any point when launching the executable have your cursor turn into a spinning CD icon?

Add Comment