User Avatar Image

Episode Ideas

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 759 users

With the encouragement of Secret Fawful, I am posting this here. Please hold back the flaming darts if a thread on this subject has already been posted, but I wanted to share some episode ideas, and would love to hear some other ideas from the community, as well.

This idea came about while chatting with SHODANFreeman on Raptr the other night: Doctor Emmett L. Brown has rebuilt and re-engineered his DeLoreon Time Vehicle. Not only can it travel through time, but now, it can travel through space, as well! In the exciting first episode of Back to the Future: The Game, Marty McFly becomes the first test subject to a new breed of time travel when he is sent back to the year 4 BC. Shortly after witnessing the birth of Christ, he is mistaken for "the Messiah," and using instruments from his own time, must perform would-be miracles for the captivated populace. Find out more when "Back to the Future: Episode 1: Christmas is Canceled" arrives this Winter!

Some of the instruments that Marty might use include: hover board to perform walking on water, or if it does not have adequate power, hover shoes from the year 2025 AD. Modern Medicine to perform the healing of a sick person (resurrecting the dead might be a bit far fetched).

I could totally see this playing into future episodes, too. Say, Marty's effects on the past cause the Church of McFly to be founded. A church which features murals of Marty and the time traveling DeLoreon. It could be a nod to the obsessive fans that treat Back to the Future as if it were a religion, or something.

Here are a few other episode titles, which may inspire a few ideas:

Episode 2: How I Swiped Thomas Jefferson's Autograph (1776 AD)
Episode 3: Roman Holiday (509 BC)
Episode 4: Post-Apocalyptic Times at Hill Valley High* (2085 AD)
Episode 5: Erasing Episode 1: Christmas is Canceled

Expanding on that Roman Holiday idea a bit: One of Marty's ancestors could be a royal adviser to the King of Rome, and who do you think would be the King? An ancestor of Biff, of course. He was so incompetent that he needed a royal adviser at his side at all times. Marty's Ancestor: "I'll have those battle plans drawn up by tomorrow morning, Sire." Biff's Ancestor: "Okay, not too early, though, I sleep in on Sunday!"

* Post-Apocalyptic Times at Hill Valley High is a nod to Fast Times at Ridgemont High, if you couldn't tell.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • He's gonna be 4 or so years late if he's hoping to see Jesus' birth in the year 0. :p

• Well, I am just going by what Doc inputted into the time circuits in the first film. I'm pretty sure that it read 0000 AD. In any case, some people would argue that Jesus Christ was not even a real person. I can sum everything up by simply saying, BTTF is pure fantasy.

Beware, the coming of the Anti-McFly is nearly upon us.

• Great ideas, Mike. I'd definitely play it!

And maybe resurrecting of the dead could be done by having Doc pretend to be a dead person.

• @Mike Haley said: Well, I am just going by what Doc inputted into the time circuits in the first film. I'm pretty sure that it read 0000 AD.

There wasn't actually a 0000 AD; history goes straight from 1 BC to 1 AD. Bob Gale mentions in the movie commentary that the idea of "Dec 25 0000" is his favorite joke in the movie that nobody else laughs at.

• Awesome idea! I can already picture it...

Marty: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
    Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
    Marty: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
    Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!
    Marty: Now, fuck off!
    (silence)
    Arthur: How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

Back to the Future: Life of Marty

(The iconic main theme plays on a church organ)

• I do not want to be rude, that's probably because I'm not a religious person, but I think it's horrible.

They would ruin BTTF for me :( ... I want it to stay "simple". Like Shadow of Memories and DOTT. You go in a time zone, future, witness trouble, try to fix things in the past, fail, try again different things etc...

I want different outcomes possible (before getting the right one that will be "canon") if you change things in the past.

But nothing involving religion... nor space.

• @Trenchfoot said: Awesome idea! I can already picture it...

Marty: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
    Marty: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
    (silence)

At the end, do we get a Huey Lewis cover of "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life"? :D

• @Trenchfoot said: Awesome idea! I can already picture it...

(silence)

I can't picture Marty telling someone to "fuck off"...

@Trenchfoot said: I do not want to be rude, that's probably because I'm not a religious person, but I think it's horrible.

They would ruin BTTF for me :( ... I want it to stay "simple". Like Shadow of Memories and DOTT. You go in a time zone, future, witness trouble, try to fix things in the past, fail, try again different things etc...

I want different outcomes possible (before getting the right one that will be "canon") if you change things in the past.

But nothing involving religion... nor space.

It wouldn't ruin Back to the Future for me, but I agree that it would ruin the game if they make it heavily religious. I can't imagine them doing that though, it's so far away from what BttF is.

That said, I wouldn't be super opposed to something with space.

• @Strayth said: I do not want to be rude, that's probably because I'm not a religious person, but I think it's horrible.

Well, believe it or not, I am not a religious person, either. I just found the concept of Marty being mistaken for a Messianic figure to be amusing. After witnessing the arrival of the DeLoreon with a bright flash of light, townspeople would be willing to instantly drop everything that they were doing before, and mindlessly follow Marty, who would constantly deny his divinity. Secret Fawful told me that a similar story played out in Monty Python's The Life of Brian. I guess that I should check that one out sometime.

I imagine something like this for the arrival: The Wise Men bestow their gifts upon Jesus. Wise Man 1: "Praise Jesus. Our Lord and Savior!" Suddenly, there is a bright flash of light, followed by the arrival of the DeLoreon. Wise Man 1: "Wait, who is that?" Wise Man 2: "HE is our Lord and Savior!" The Wise Men take back their gifts, and approach the DeLoreon just as Marty steps out.

I didn't anticipate this turning into a religious matter, though. Hopefully, we can move past that, and share some other ideas.

• @Spykes said: I can't picture Marty telling someone to "fuck off"...

It's a complete conversation from Monty Python's Life of Brian. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life is a famous song from that movie too. It's not serious.

Add Comment