User Avatar Image

Freelance Police's sudden death

posted by Udvarnoky on - last edited - Viewed by 700 users

This goes out to the Telltale folks who were former members of the Sam & Max: Freelance Police team. Yeah, yeah, we've all mourned and murdered over the cancellation of that game, but I've still got some questions concerning the cancellation that maybe you could answer. After all, the press release LucasArts offered wasn't particularly explanatory or in-depth, and I'd just like to hear your take on it. Basically what I want to know is: was the game's cancellation as abrupt and shocking to the guys within LucasArts as it was to the fans? Or was there reason to believe that the project was in a bit of trouble before the decision was made? I think there's more than enough evidence to show that few people were expecting the game to get axed like that, but were there, like, any hints of doom?

Thanks in advance for putting up with the curiosity; I still need closure.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The best guess is that LucasArts simply didn't want to spend the required money to market the game. I guess with all that would-be marketing money still on hand, it allowed them to finance more Star Wars games. Of course, LucasArts never really gave us a good explanation, so it's their own fault we must speculate like this.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I completely agree. Lucasarts was afraid to do something original because they were afraid they wouldn't make much money.[/quote]

There is something I don't understand : when they canceled the game, they already had put quite a lot of money for its development. It is not as if they canceled it before starting to work on it. If they finished the game and released it, then they would have made some money by selling it. But by cancelling Sam&Max at the stage the game was, was really a pure loss of money for Lucasarts, and a huge disappointment for all the fans of adventure games.
    LucasArt's spirit died last march, even if its body is still there...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I hope Starwarsart... Lucasarts still has the almost finished Sam & Max Game.

If they've deleted the data(which would of course be very stupid), Telltale has to start from scratch.... :-s

I assume they still have the nearly finished game and hopefully the guys(and gals?) at Telltale can get it back from Starwarsar... Lucasarts. Work something out.

After all, It's THEIR game, which they worked VERY HARD at!

I used to Love Lucasarts, now they're crap.

But now we have Telltale Games and I have a LOT of confidence in them. They will REVIVE the adventure genre :) :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

maybe we Should start a New Religion :p

TellTaleism
    with MAX as our Fussy Bunny God [:)>-]
    and Sam as our Dog god :p

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It was cancelled because LA saw that the market wanted another 30 Star Wars games where you play as another unknown but Jedi-capable character...

i.e.

20020313l.gif

040322.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

very funny cartoon :) B-) very funny cartoon :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

you can check out more fan artwork..shameless plug alert! @ http://www.savesamandmax.com

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

nice site B-)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

One of my friends at Lucasarts told me it was looking awesome! :((

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Funny thing is: the last Starwars movie is coming soon and that will be it! Some 15 more starwars games and they should run out of inspiration (as if they haven't already). Next year they'll shoot a new Indiana Jones film (which I am looking forward to) and probably issue a new game around it.

And then? Falling back on the things they were good at will be really hard because the people who worked on the nice projects have left the building and ran away. The fans who would have bought a mediocre Lucasarts adventure (e.g. EMI) will think twice before doing that now. And at that moment the market will be flooded by other adventure games made by Telltale (ex-Lucasarts employees), Autumn Moon (ex-Lucasarts employees), Double Fine (ex-Lucasarts employees), Ron Gilbert with one of his companies (ex-Lucasarts employees) or others. There is hope enough on adventures in the LA style. Now, LA is nothing, but in the '80's and '90's it was a great school for great adventure games and we still should be thankfull to the management of that time for putting money into new things.

After all these things with Sam and Max, I'm wondering why Full Throttle really has been cancelled. Officially it was canned to not upset the fans of the original because it couldn't live up to it. Seeing how they treated us with Sam and Max, I'm starting to doubt that statement.

Add Comment