User Avatar Image

Steamworks

posted by asteroidjay on - last edited - Viewed by 387 users

Can someone at Telltale confirm that this game will use Steamworks, and if we buy it from this website we'll be able to register it on Steam?

Do you think there will be achievements and leaderboards and other Steam features? :)

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You are correct about those games, xbskid. I apologize for my mistake. Many of those games can have their CD keys registered on Steam though.

I still would like to know if the Telltale website version of the game uses Steamworks or can be registered on Steam.

• @asteroidjay said: Many of those games can have their CD keys registered on Steam though.

I still would like to know if the Telltale website version of the game uses Steamworks or can be registered on Steam.

1) Yes, they can! But I really have no idea what's involved in getting blocks of a company's serials to be recognized by Steam, like how much Valve charges for that service. It would be wonderfully convenient, though.

2) I'm pretty sure the fact that Telltale is selling a version of the game outside of Steam is enough proof that that version won't use Steamworks (Proof enough for me, anyway. Still, I won't argue against receiving official word on the matter :)).

• Kotaku reported correctly. This will be using Steamworks, the details of which will be forthcoming sooner or later.

• @Will said: Kotaku reported correctly. This will be using Steamworks, the details of which will be forthcoming sooner or later.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

• It's not like people who buy this won't have Steam anyway, I mean a lot of people want it for The Heavy, and his game can be only played with downloading Steam. In fact, why not use Steam in the first place?

• @BoneFreak said: It's not like people who buy this won't have Steam anyway, I mean a lot of people want it for The Heavy, and his game can be only played with downloading Steam. In fact, why not use Steam in the first place?

1) Telltale gets more money when you buy directly from them. Actually, they get all of it.
    2) Some games available via retail actually have resale value. With Steam, and all of digital distribution, it's a permanent transaction. If you get tired of a game, you can't get resell it. In fact, reselling is specifically prohibited in many Terms of Service documents like Steam's Subscriber Agreement and the ToS for the PlayStation Network.

• Also, not everyone who wants the game is necessarily a Team Fortress 2 fan.

• @Will said: Kotaku reported correctly. This will be using Steamworks, the details of which will be forthcoming sooner or later.

So how does that work for people who bought via the telltale store(me)

• 'member how for The Devil's Toybox you could get a max hat and other stuff in TF2 if you reordered it from steam? Well, I didn't know that at first. So I bought it from telltale. I was devastated when I found out. But then, telltale gave me a nifty code I could put into steam to get the hat and guns. (it wasn't like an email or something, it was an actual web page. Someone dig that up. I'm too lazy.) I'm sure that telltale will do the same for poker night.

• @StrongBadinator said: 'member how for The Devil's Toybox you could get a max hat and other stuff in TF2 if you reordered it from steam? Well, I didn't know that at first. So I bought it from telltale. I was devastated when I found out. But then, telltale gave me a nifty code I could put into steam to get the hat and guns. (it wasn't like an email or something, it was an actual web page. Someone dig that up. I'm too lazy.) I'm sure that telltale will do the same for poker night.

I remember that(infact from them on I played the devils playhouse through steam) but it would be odd for telltale to allow to buy the game, only for them to give you a code to buy it somewhere else.

Add Comment