User Avatar Image

Did "The City that Dares not sleep" feel rushed to you? Spoilers

posted by Mystic on - last edited - Viewed by 456 users

It was okay up until the near end where the writers committed a plothole drive by and hit and run on the audience. There you are underground trying to find the Deux Ex Machina to continue the story and then Flint fills you in on matters you either didn't care about or forgot about. " I didn't care about Girl Stinky's evil plan but since they brought it up...what was her motivation?" What about Sal being her accomplice for two decades? What took so long? Oh, She a mermaid? How did you find that out...not going to tell us okay bye got the plot device now going back to the story. Maybe it's just me but did anyone else feel the same?

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: For those who want all details of the Stinky plot (which has spent two seasons being an increasingly-deliberate fractal knot of overwrought backstory), Chuck Jordan has written it up in full on his blog.

I have to say.... I'm pretty sorry for you guys over there because you clearly couldn't implement most of those details about this Stinky incident in those episodes so that it got pretty rushed in the final product.

I think you should make a machinima about it, explaining the situation or something, you know, something that's important (plot-wise) has to be a "product"; not only a blog text.

• But the thing is, Stinky's subplot is not important for the overall plot. I think I'm in a minority that liked how it was done.

I just have a question, how much of all that was planned from the beginning and how much was made up as you went? :P

• @SunnyGuy said: I just have a question, how much of all that was planned from the beginning and how much was made up as you went? :P

I'm guessing most of it was made up after Season 3 had been completed. He seems to just be mucking around, arbitrarily tying all the plot points together to make the point that it was never supposed to make sense.

My only gripe is with the cake trick. The fact that you make it happen in Season 2 to solve a puzzle just stretches the internal (il)logic too far, even by Sam and Max's standards. Even imagining that she was replicating the trick to throw off further investigation, it just doesn't feel right that it also happened to solve the puzzle for what now seems to be no reason whatsoever.

• Yeah, it definitely felt rushed, particularly the cloning chamber area. It was, as you say, just a massive info dump that came out of nowhere (and part of it, like Stinky's brain swap plan, was only if you found the right things to click).

@Jake said: For those who want all details of the Stinky plot (which has spent two seasons being an increasingly-deliberate fractal knot of overwrought backstory), Chuck Jordan has written it up in full on his blog.

Oh, wow. That's pretty awesome. It's a shame it never got through in the game. That's pretty in depth.

After episode 4 I was left thinking that Stinky's deal was the same as with the second season. She acts ridiculously suspicious and everyone KNOWS she's up to something (killed Grandpa Stinky/working with Skunkape) then you find out yeah-no, she was telling the truth for once/conducting a mad love affair with a giant cockroach, duh. She just seemed to be that person who you're supposed to believe is a villain, but really she's just bad at telling the truth. I was honestly really confused and a bit disappointed when she was acting like a villain again at the end. It makes some sense now, and I can stretch my disbelief about the whole cake thing. Mermaid's more her thing.

• But... how can she be a mermaid? Aren't mermaids supposed to have fish tails?

• @Tilan said: But... how can she be a mermaid? Aren't mermaids supposed to have fish tails?

She does. It's on her apron! In all seriousness though she can probably transform at will. I don't think that's uncommon in mermaid stories. Probably explains why her feet were killing her at the beginning of season 2 though.

• Yeah, it does look like an "after-thought" post made up to make sense of the stuff rather than something pre-designed since season 2.

Still, it would have been nice if it somehow was worked into the game instead of leaving us "WTF?" in the game as has happened now.

• Sorry I'd rather believe Stinky is a cake.
    Mermaids. Nahh.

• I wasn't around during the early plot meetings, but I think most of that was made up at the beginning of Season 3, while little scraps of it were added either way later at the end of the season, or are older, fragments from the season 2 B or C story threads which never got picked up.

• The blog post made a lot of sense. I wish it was all understood by playing the past two seasons alone. I didn't mind the big information dump near the end but it would have been better if it was told a bit clearer, and if Girl Stinky had a motive for wanting the diner. I know not everything makes sense when it comes to Sam & Max but without clear reveals by the end of the season, it's being mean to adventure gamers.;) Especially how story and character driven this season is.

Before I read the post, I didn't get know what Charlie Ho-Tep, mole people, and Sal were all doing before the start of the season. I had not even considered the Maim-Tron for revealing the Future Vision toy. The Blog does explain the reason why Girl Stinky would try and kill Flint Paper in 301 which I thought would be anyone but Girl Stinky.
    "Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one."

And Chuck no longer works at Telltale? That's news to me.

Add Comment