User Avatar Image

Game wishlist from a long time fan. Feedback please?

posted by Delorean55 on - last edited - Viewed by 694 users

Hey guys, I was excited to hear about TT making a new BTF game and heard they were paying attention to what was discussed on the forums so I thought I'd share a couple of ideas.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I'm really hoping that TT bring something fresh to the series that fits in with the storyline (we all hate movie games that don't make sense -_-)

Personally I think we all love Marty and Doc, but I think it would be stale if they still held the main focus - I would love to flesh out Doc's family (was really disappointed not to learn more) as I think it would be much more enjoyable to get to know his kids (possibly as the main characters? Time travelling family? :P).

As iconic as the Delorean is, the idea of a TRAIN is too cool to pass up. I believe the latest Zelda game proved that trains fit well in video games and I think this will be no exception. I would hate to be limited by tracks though (game will be severely damaged if there's no exploration involved). It's pretty far fetched but maybe integrating flying technology with the train could be a BTF styled new direction to go in? There's nobody sane who couldn't say flying around in a time train isn't fun :P

(For the old school fans, maybe have the Delorean as a skin replacement after you finish the game once?)

Finally I'd love to see lots of subtle references or throwbacks to the films that the hardcore fans will understand. I love when games/shows throw cheeky references that the normal person wouldn't bat an eyelid at (but PLEASE make them subtle, nothing makes me cringe more then when it's made to obvious).

Anyway this is just my wishlist, thankyou to anyone who spends there time reading and feedback is appreciated!

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]that's a bit subjective. You think that you don't won't it that means everybody doesn't want it and people who do want it are no one. [/quote]

yes!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

1.) I liked part 3! ;)

2.) NO one wants a game about Doc's kids!

3.) NO one wants a game where you can't use the DeLorean!

No, of course there are no absolutes, no two BTTF fans are alike, and you may wish for whatever's in your heart. Still, Doc's two little snots do not exactly have a host of followers. That's not to say that these two boys, with 12 more years on their back, a decent re-naming and a portion of individual personality, could not make for good game characters. Still, most fans would just want Doc & Marty back, and that's what's already promised.

As for the time train, I always considered it to be a massively exaggerated asset, specifically designed to destroy the actual spirit of adventure, purposefully ending the movie series forever. After this monstrosity was on the screen, you'd just have to believe that it's over. ;)

So let's just have the DeLorean, which, coincidentally, is ALSO already promised. :D

• Not making Doc and Marty the focus of a Back to the Future totally defeats the purpose of using the Back to the Future license. They ARE Back to the Future. Not using them would be akin to making a Monkey Island game without Guybrush. You know that successful Ghostbusters console game that came out a year or two ago? Do you think it would have done nearly as well if you didn't spend the whole game in the company of THE Ghostbusters?

If Telltale planned to make a game without Doc and Marty, they'd have just not paid for the Back to the Future license and made an original time travel game. Rarely does anyone care about the continuation of a franchise once the original characters are no longer a part of it.

• As far as I'm concerned, anyone who hates Part 3 isn't a true BTTF fan.

• If it would continue from the end of BTTF3 there would be no reason to bring Marty back his story has ended his future is his, he has got Jennifer. And everyone seems to have ganged up on Delorean55 for voicing his opinion and instead of trying to make a sensible argument are saying stuff like "go die" and all you super fans thinking you have some kind of superiority over what TellTale should do and that you are the only market and that if they don't do certain things you say the game will be crap so no one will buy it.

• That's quite a long sentence.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: If it would continue from the end of BTTF3 there would be no reason to bring Marty back his story has ended his future is his, he has got Jennifer. And everyone seems to have ganged up on Delorean55 for voicing his opinion and instead of trying to make a sensible argument are saying stuff like "go die" and all you super fans thinking you have some kind of superiority over what TellTale should do and that you are the only market and that if they don't do certain things you say the game will be crap so no one will buy it.

Amen.

All Im saying is that to my understanding there has been BTF games in the past, and they didn't exactly do to well. Im guessing they followed the same old formula of Marty and Doc, travelling back to fight dinosaurs or knights or something. You might think that's the best way to go, but it's honestly nothing fresh at all.

I'm hoping with my hearts heart that TT do get some freshness involved (I saw the pic they did of M & D and it looks dope I think), but there has to be something exciting about this telling of the story to keep it memorable I think. We do not know enough about Docs kids to immediately say they suck, they literally are a blank canvas for the epic to continue on (and still make sense).

To the guy who told me to die for suggesting Marty is a quest giver - have you ever heard of subtlety? I think it would be a real twist for Marty to still be a main character, but not to have the focus on him all the time (as that would steer the series on a new, longer direction). Maybe you like everything to be nice, simple and understandable, but personally I believe the key to a success and a long series is a level of complexity that all people can appreciate.

• Also, regarding the current discussion, when you see a post you think is inappropriate, click on the Inappropriate Post icon report.gif and give us a heads up - we try for as much coverage as possible, but we can't catch everything.

Also sometimes things you might think are inappropriate can get glossed over. So a heads-up to give something a 2nd look with a fresh pair of eyes / perspective can really help us out.

So instead of just complaining publicly about posts that you think should have been moderated, hit that button when you see them (or just PM a mod or relevant staff member), and let us know please.

• Thankyou for letting me know - I didn't even see that little icon to be honest

• @Delorean55 said: Amen.

All Im saying is that to my understanding there has been BTF games in the past, and they didn't exactly do to well. Im guessing they followed the same old formula of Marty and Doc, travelling back to fight dinosaurs or knights or something. You might think that's the best way to go, but it's honestly nothing fresh at all.

I'm hoping with my hearts heart that TT do get some freshness involved (I saw the pic they did of M & D and it looks dope I think), but there has to be something exciting about this telling of the story to keep it memorable I think. We do not know enough about Docs kids to immediately say they suck, they literally are a blank canvas for the epic to continue on (and still make sense).

I think you're totally wrong! The BTTF games, that I know of, sucked @$$, which is why they probably didn't do well! I do not think it was because they had you play as Marty! Just using new characters is a lazy writer's cheap and easy way out! I agree that there should be something exciting in this story, as there should be in any good story! But I do not think that Doc's kids is the answer here! This is just one of many tricks a writer uses when they run out of good ideas, along with changes the characters ages (that is suddenly making them older or younger), etc.! It is a writer's job to make the characters (Marty & Doc) Fresh! Freshness comes from good writing! Like in comicbooks where old and worn charcters can be freshened up by new skilled writers! AND PART 3 STILL SUCKED!

Add Comment